Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OALD or swallowing difficulty?

Default OALD or swallowing difficulty?

My 10 week old DS chokes at the breast during letdown and gets so upset he refuses to finish the feeding. We have been almost exclusively pumping (one nursing session per day) until recently when he finally stopped pinching my nipple with his tongue. Very frustrating since I was really excited to start bfding him all the time instead of pumping.

So I have a couple questions and would love any advice you ladies have.

First off, DS occasionally chokes while bottle feeding also so maybe he has a suck/swallow issue? He gets very upset whenever he chokes and often does not want to finish eating.

Second off, pumping about an ounce from each breast before feeding him seems to help tremendously...but he gets totally frantic if his feeding is delayed. When we warm up bottles we have to hold and comfort him the whole time. If I pump right before I feed him then I would have to lay him down which would cause hysterical crying. Argh. Would this cause him to hate breastfeeding? Or become a really insecure baby?

Thirdly- he was recently diagnosed with GERD and is on meds. Before he was diagnosed he would arch his back, turn red and cry about halfway through his feedings. Maybe he has a negative association with eating now, and won't tolerate any difficulty whatsoever? (like choking)

Please respond if you have any information or advice at all, even if it's just to share your own experiences with this. Thank you!!

Default Re: OALD or swallowing difficulty?

Hi there,

Sorry to hear things have been so difficult for you and ds.

The milk can come out of a bottle pretty fast, not as hard and forceful as with OALD, but it still can come out quickly. You may want to try the slowest flow nipple you can find.

Have you tried nursing him in a laying back position? After you get him on you would lay back, then he would be laying on top of you and he would have the help of gravity. Also, side-laying positon works well for some moms. You could also bottle feed him in a more upright position.

I would suggest really watching his cues to try to anticipate his hunger before he gets to the point where he can't wait another minute. This will make him calmer and less frustrated when feeding. IF you could wear him in a carrier or sling it would be very easy to be in tuned to when he is getting hungry before he actually is at the point of being famished.

Certainly if he has had a rough time with feeding or nursing than he may be frustrated overall with it. But it is not too late to turn that around.

Does he use a pacifier?

I would also suggest attending LLL meetings if possible. The support and encouragement you will gain there will be a lifesaver! Here's how to find a local meeting:

http://www.lllusa.org/groups.php

Hang in there...things will get better, sometimes it just takes a little time.

Thanks for your response. He is doing a little better now, although I am having trouble with my supply. (Is it possible to hav OALD and a low supply?) I found that he does best if I feed him sort of sitting up in my lap. As long as he is not frantically hungry he tolerates the strong letdown (and any choking) better. It's still a challenge to keep him calm though. He's very high strung when we feed him now! It makes me feel terrible to see him be so insecure.
    I'm just hoping that as time goes on he will become more relaxed. On Monday I'm going to go on a 2-3 day nursing vacation to try to get my supply up. I hope it works! He gets agitated if he has to work too hard to get milk out... (he has a love/hate relationship with that OALD, lol!)

Well, yes I guess it is possible to have low supply, but still have OALD. Most of the time we hear about this together with oversupply, but that may not always be the case. You could still be having a rapid milk ejection but have a supply problem.

Have you been pumping less lately?

I hope the nurse-in goes well!

Keep us posted!