Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I even try to bf?

Default Re: Should I even try to bf?

Thank you all so much for your responses! I'm feeling so much more positive about this and can definately tell this is where I need to come for support! I'll check out all the links in a bit and get in contact with some local people before baby arrives. I'm actually pretty excited to try this again, but scared - mastitis stinks. I really don't want to go thru it again, but maybe if I'm doing things completely different this time around I can avoid it, or at least not get it as many times!

About the repeat c-sec: I had the choice with ds#2, but was foolish and scared of labor, so I chose a repeat then. Now I regret that soooo much. I asked my dr (whom I trust very much) if there was a chance for a VBAC and he said, "What, do you want your uterus to explode?!" lol We live in Oklahoma, and laws are pretty strict, too - you have to deliver at a "learning" hospital if you want a VBAC. There is only one that is kind of close, and my dr does not deliver there, nor do they have a good record for me to feel confident enough to go. I'm ok with the repeat c-sec, but I am disappointed in myself that 3 years ago I didn't do the research to attempt a VBAC.

Thanks again, everyone for your support and advice - I'll start looking around to see what I should do to prepare for breastfeeding!!!

Quote Originally Posted by brosia13 View Post
    I asked my dr (whom I trust very much) if there was a chance for a VBAC and he said, "What, do you want your uterus to explode?!" lol We live in Oklahoma, and laws are pretty strict, too - you have to deliver at a "learning" hospital if you want a VBAC. There is only one that is kind of close, and my dr does not deliver there, nor do they have a good record for me to feel confident enough to go.
    Oh, this sort of thing makes me SO MAD!!! I'm so sorry there isn't more support for vbac when and where you need it- and I'm glad you're okay with the repeat c-section.

Don't be disappointed in yourself that you didn't go for the vbac with #2- if I had people telling me seriously that my uterus was going to explode (??!!) if I tried a vbac, I probably would go for the c-section, too.

Do keep coming back- this is a really supportive online community and everyone is always here for you to share your triumphs and to provide shoulders to cry on if you need them. (Hopefully you won't!)

I'm not quite as big as you (36F), but in the beginning I wore the nursing sports bras (XL size). After my supply was established I got fitted for a real nursing bra. I haven't had infections but I had to pump to bring my milk in and I pump while I'm at work, and pumps definitely don't empty well enough to avoid clogged ducts, you need to get the rest out with your hands. I take lecithin if I have a stubborn clog on top of hot compresses before nursing and cold compresses after. If you are too full for your lo to latch or to get the pump working you can hand express some milk out (http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...xpression.html) or do reverse compressions (you compress up your breast to force the milk away from the nipple to soften it up).