Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush? HELP!!!!

Default Thrush? HELP!!!!

I'm SO itchy!!! Seems like just the nipple and a little portion of my breast - but that is my only symptom - the baby doesn't have any signs, and the itch is literally my only issue. But it is SO bad, and I don't know why it's happening. I've been putting Lanisoh on because I thought maybe it was dry skin - but I feel like I'm going to DIE! I actually draw blood while I'm sleeping because it's soooo itchy!

Default Re: Thrush? HELP!!!!

Forgot to mention - my LO is 4 months old - this has been happening for about 3 weeks....

Default Re: Thrush? HELP!!!!

First off, you probably should speak with your doctor or midwife about it, just to be sure that thrush is what is wrong.

If it is thrush, here's my advice (for what it's worth):

I used gentian violet the second time I had thrush and it worked really well. Even if your lo isn't showing syptoms, s/he may still have it and could still reinfect you, so I'd treat you both at the same time if I were you.

I put the gentian violet on my nipples before I nursed (maybe this would be enough for you since your lo doesn't seem to be too affected?). Afterward I'd rinse with half vinegar, half water (vinegar doesn't kill thrush, but creates an 'inhospitable environment') and put a little more gentian violet on.

I also washed my shirts, bras, towels, etc in hot water with a cup of vinegar added for ages, a week or two after all symptoms had disappeared.

Good luck.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous