Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need some advise before i go crazy

Default Need some advise before i go crazy

My 4 week old son, after BFing and latching well for the most part of his little life, for the last 2 days or so, will pull off and cry while feeding, and won't latch after the breast is emptied a little. I've tried burping and that doesn't seem to be the issue. I have to burp him 2 times at least at each breast, and after he burps the first time he roots and fusses and acts hungry still, but will only suckle at the breast, and won't actually latch. Once the breast is a little soft, he won't latch. I tried pumping and putting it in a bottle, but he suckles a bit and makes a face and pulls away. Someone was saying my milk could have gone sour. (Both DH and I have been very stressed these last few days...). Not sure what i can do...or what the issue is. I had this problem with my first son as well, and ended up pumping for 2 weeks until I dried up (my pump is kinda cheap). I DON'T want that to happen this time. Any advice would help lots...before I pull all my hair out.

Default Re: Need some advise before i go crazy

and congrats on your new little baby!
    Does the baby cough and/or gag when pulling off your breast? You could have OALD=overactive letdown. You milk comes out really fast so it's kind of like trying to take a drink from a fire hydrant. I had the same problem and block feeding help a lot. What I did was feed from the same breast for two feeding or a 3-4 hour block then switch. This helps to even out your supply and lessen the force of your letdown so the baby doesn't choke as much. If you do this for a couple weeks you should see results. In the meantime you could either pump to get letdown then put the baby to the breast or pull baby off the breast when you feel letdown coming on and spray into a towel then put baby back on the breast.

Have you contacted your local leader? They can be a great help as well to see if there are any other issues.

Your milk CAN'T sour. It is always at the perfect tempurature, freshly made on demand, and completely nurishing. These boards are great for support. There isn't anything you're going through that someone else has already been through. Keep coming on here for support and guidence.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Default Re: Need some advise before i go crazy

I totally agree with the previous poster - and encourage you to contact a LLL leader local to you

I will include this link in the hopes theres something that you find helpful.

Good luck - you can do this ...
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.