Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Needs time to adjust or not ready?

Default Needs time to adjust or not ready?

My ds is 25 weeks and has seemed to be interested in solids for a while. A few days ago I gave him some rice cereal with bm (just to transition to food that is more solid) but he spits it right out. Same with baby oatmeal with bm, even if there is a banana in there. We've tried once a day for a few days, each time he takes in less than 1 tsp. Does this mean he's not ready and I should wait a few weeks, or that these things don't taste good to him and I should try some real solids like squash, etc.? Thanks!
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

Default Re: Needs time to adjust or not ready?

My LO did not want any solids until 7.5 months. I just went with the "she will eat when she is ready" rule. Now, she is a 14 month old eating machine with chunky legs.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

At this time it is more about the experience of different textures, the way it feels in the mouth, and learning to swallow solids than it is about getting nutrition from the foods (so don't worry so much about how much is actually going in his mouth and staying there). If I may suggest-just put some mushed banana or some rice and mushed beans (or vegetables, etc) on your baby's high chair tray and let him do with it what he will. He will get in his hair, up his nose, and all over his clothes, but some of it will get in his mouth and he will get to pick what he eats and how much of it. He may be spitting out the cereal because he didn't have control of putting it in his mouth, or possibly because he hasn't yet learned how to move solid foods to the back of his mouth-it's a different process than breastfeeding.
    Babies at this age can grab food and get it to their mouths if it is not too runny. Just offer something each day and eventually he will be eating everything and lots of it!

Hi. I recently posted a thread about Alasdair starting on solids --- he's just over 23 weeks. Another mama posted one in regards to jar vs. pureed food and received some great links:

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/

http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedseli...uidelines.html

I offered Alasdair rice cereal and he loved it.
    Not as interested in banana, though I think it's more to do with his inability to grasp it as opposed to his desire to eat it.

After some reading, I ditched the cereal and decided we will just offer banana, avocado, maybe some squash ---
    I think your baby may be ready, but he'll go at his own pace. Like the pp mama said, right now it's all about textures and stuff.

I know how you feel though---wanting to offer him foods. It's very exciting.
    Until we're dealing with the mess .....

yay for the dog!
    ... mama to alasdair jonas, fifteen days late and (finally) born all natural on june 24, 2007.

check out my organic baby goods: www.inkpony.etsy.com
    and coming along with using cloth dipes.yay.

yes the dog is loving this! Thanks mamas!
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!