Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting to spit up at 4 months. Should I be worried?

Default Starting to spit up at 4 months. Should I be worried?

LO has just (the last couple of days or so) been fussy and has started spitting up A LOT, small quantities but several times after each feeding.

He used to be gassy all the time. I block feed which has helped my oversupply, and I cut out dairy 2 months ago. LO had his first shots a week ago. He feeds every 1.5-2 hours.

Any ideas much appreciated!

Shilpa

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Starting to spit up at 4 months. Should I be worried?

I don't have much in the way of help but I noticed that my LO started spitting up much more once she was about 4 1/2 to 5 months old. Maybe it has something to do with gaining weight and being able to take in more food??? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks! I was also wondering whether spitting-up often is just really common and not much of a sign of anything at all... My 2 year old didn't ever spit up as a baby so it's a new concern of mine (worse than second time round with an old concern!)

Shilpa

Spitting up, in and of itself is no problem. The valve between the stomach and esophagus generally doesn't fully mature until between 12-18 month apparently. If he's fussy in direct relation to the spitting up, that is a bit more concerning. Is there any chance you've been eating something different than usual that he could be reacting to? Teething will also exacerbate reflux (acid or otherwise), especially if there is lots of drool involved, any chance that's starting? If it continues (especially with the fussiness) and you can't identify any cause, I would definitley bring it to the attention of your pediatrician. Good luck!

Thanks! And thanks for your private message Panzona.

You both made me remember that we have indeed had a *lot* more drooling than usual in the last couple of days, so much so that I dug out the dozens of hand-me-down bibs I've been given and never used (now I know what they're for!)

So on the evidence, even though he's only 4 months, it might well be teething (or pre-teething). He's only mildly fussy at the moment (although he's trying out a piercing scream, which he seems to prefer to crying), so I'll wait and watch for a few days.

Shilpa