Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fists of fury

Default fists of fury

Hello. I have a darling 15-day old boy named Roger. He is a voracious little nurser - he latched on 1 hr. after birth, but it wasn't quite right. I have had cracked, scabbed, bleeding, infected nipples since. His pedi prescribed me 2 ointments which have helped TREMENDOUSLY - but both still have deep cracks just at the top.
    I can deal with the cracks, but my prolem now is that he fights latching on every time now. To the points where he'll turn his head away, scream and flail his "fists of fury". He doesn't really open his mouth wide enough for a good, deep latch, so I try to quickly get him on mid-wail. Once he has the nipple in his mouth - look out. Like I said, he's voracious. I can hear him gulping down mouthfuls of milk. Sometimes he loses suction and "clicks" (ouch); sometimes he starts coughing and choking and I pull him off and burp him, but this upsets him - he's hungry! I probably re-latch him an average of 10x per feeding, and he doesn't really suckle for all that long (10-20 min. total). There are times when after 5 re-latchings, he'll fall asleep (and he's only "eaten" for, like, 5 min.) I was worried that he wasn't getting enough, but he wets and poops a lot. I think he has gained weight (he looks thicker). I just don't know if/when I can expect the mealtime fights to subside. It's painful to have him latch on like a pirahna, but I can deal with it. I love it when the latch is decent and he looks up into my eyes, and he seems content . It makes all of the hitches worth it. I just wish I could get it more on an even keel.

Anyone got any advice or strategies?

Default Re: fists of fury

Sounds like what my little guy and I went through. He had no trouble latching on, it just wasn't quite right and it hurt! That and he would fight, he's an overactive lo! My LC gave me some tips that seemed to help: If you have an overactive letdown he may be fighting against it. Try pumping for three minutes or so until the let down is calmer. Another woman de-latched her little one and let a towel catch the excess and then relatched him after. Keep trying!

My wee man is very strong and had this habit of flalling, grabbing and clawing in frustration. It was infuriating trying to get the breast in his mouth only to have him grab a handful of areola and yank the nipple out of his mouth because my letdown wasn't fast enough.. and even more frustrating for him.

He's 8 weeks old today and seems to have gained enough muscle control, awareness and patience to keep his hands out of it. He's learned that if I tuck his hand down under my breast (he refuses to wrap his arm around my side, prefering to keep it pulled in by his chest) that he will get a feed soon, so he doesn't move it as much.

The only problem I have now is convincing him to stop sucking on his hands while I am trying to get him to latch

Hang in there. If your LO is anything like mine, things will improve with age.

Have you tried swaddling your babe before nursing? My lil one is also a lil piranha and I will sometimes swaddle her to calm her down before she nurses. The relatching and coughin sounds like maybe an overactive letdown so you may want to try different positions to help your guy out if he's getting too much milk too fast. This was the case for me and now I nurse my girl with her basically on top of me or me reclined and I only offer one side each feeding and it has helped immensely.

Check out http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

It has tips for diagnosing and dealing with overactive letdown.

I have heard that some moms have had really good success using self attachment. It might be worth giving a try to see if it helps. http://www.mothering.com/articles/ne...knows-how.html

Hi there

My DS had trouble latching at first too. We now use a nipple shield and latching is a thing of the past But using the shield is a whole other can of worms....i am trying really hard to wean him. I am sure things will improve with age....hang in there

I'm sorry I just have to laugh a little. My boy used to be just like that! I remember when he was hungry in the middle of the night trying ferociously to latch on i thought he looked like a cross between a piranha and some kind of demon baby. But IT DOES GET BETTER! I promise! He'll get older and much better at nursing. Hang in there!

And like someone else mentioned, swaddling helped me too. I think he just got his little arms going and it made him more upset.
    Last edited by *mlk*; December 5th, 2007 at 01:07 PM.

Yeah, I will laugh about it too, usually after 10 minutes of grappling at 4am. I try to keep the sense of humor healthy...

Definitely sounds like overactive letdown to me. Maybe you could start the process before he gets REALLY hungry and pump/manually stimulate a letdown, let the initial "gush" spray into a container or diaper, then latch him on when the flow slows down.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.