Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help!

Exclamation Help!

Hello! I am new to the boards, but I'm really nervous this morning! I woke up with a tender right breast and it's slightly red. My baby will be 5 months this week and we have exclusively breastfed. I don't want to have to start with anything else now! Please help, i 'm a nervous wreck... I left a message for the lactation consultant at the hospital, but it's too early... I don't want to call my OB just yet because i'm afraid they'll put me on antibiotics in which i can't nurse... please help! thanks

Default Re: Help!

OK, don't panic -- it does sound like early-onset mastitis, but it's good that you've caught it early. The best thing to do is to get lots of rest, drink lots of fluids, and nurse LOTS, especially on the affected breast.

If you can manage it AT ALL, go back to bed with your baby right now and just take a sick day!

Many moms find that this approach will turn early-onset mastitis around, so it goes away without a doctor visit or antibiotics.

If it's not getting better 24 hours from now, however, or if you spike a high fever, then you need to seek medical help. There are many antibiotics available that are safe while nursing, so don't worry about that. And whatever you do, do NOT stop nursing or restrict the baby's nursing or introduce something else into his diet while this is going on. It's really important that you drain the breast frequently while your body fights off this infection.

Good luck, and let us know how you're doing or if you have any questions.

--Rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by quakerm0mma
    OK, don't panic -- it does sound like early-onset mastitis, but it's good that you've caught it early. The best thing to do is to get lots of rest, drink lots of fluids, and nurse LOTS, especially on the affected breast. --Rebecca
    I agree - and get into your Dr ASAP for medication (or urgent care). I have had that and early treatment will save you a LOT of headache.

Good luck!!

Your breast is sore and slightly red? Any other symptoms? How are you feeling? Can you feel a lump in the affected breast?

The best thing you can do is take your baby into bed with you and just rest and nurse. Drink plenty of fluids and eat good, nutritious foods. Warm compresses and gentle massage on the plugged region will also be helpful.

Here are some helpful links with more details:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/mastitis.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html