Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for a friend

Default Tips for a friend

A friend of mine had a baby on Wed via C section. They are having some issues as all moms do! but my dh just talked to our friend and my dh said "he just said the curse word!" (FORMULA!) I know they are having a rough time. Her LO is nursing often and still seems hungry. I have advised her to do skin to skin, check latch, listen for swallowing, look for visible milk on her LO, nurse often, and count wet/dirty diapers. I don;t think he has had very wet diapers today and she is not sure her milk has come in. When my milk came in I sure knew it! Is it possible for her milk to not have come in yet? This would be day 5. Any advice? what should I tell her? (I have encouraged her to come here but I think she is a lil occupied right now!) TIA!

Default Re: Tips for a friend

Hmmm, I'm no authority on the subject -- in fact, I've got nothing more to offer than you've already mentioned to your friend (although I know there can be a great deal of variation in both time frame for milk to come in, and sensation associated with it) -- but congratulations to your friend! She's lucky to have a friend like you looking out for her and her and baby and their breastfeeding future!

Thanks! I just talked to them this morning adn he has had relatively NO wet dapers since yesterday morning. I don't know what to tell her. She is going to call the pedi and I encouraged her to call her LC and if they had to supplement to try methods other than bottles. But umm, 6 days and no milk? any other ideas?

Hi Nicole,

Did your friend have a difficult c-section (i.e. blood loss, etc...)? The only reason I ask is that I had a c-section in October and lost a lot of blood and it took 6 days for my milk to come in. Unfortunately, the body looks after us before providing for our babies, which is not how we want it. The hospital would not let us go home until we started supplementing with formula, which I did not want and caused me to question my ability to look after my LO. We only supplemented for 3 days until my LO started gaining weight. All I can suggest is to tell your friend to get lots of rest and spend as much time as she can with her baby snuggled right up to her. I hope her milk comes in soon.

Meg

does your friend have a pump? Perhaps she could also try pumping as well as nursing and see what happens. I think one mistake that many moms make when their milk is delayed is to totally stop and just resign to formula. Even if your friend ends up having to give formula, she could pump or use a supplementary nursing system to try and stimulate her milk.
    i had a c-section and I don't remember exactly how soon my milk came in, but I do know it took a few days. We struggled because ds had jaundice and was in the nursery, so we had very limited time to nurse.

j

She doesn't have a pump yet, but I think is planning on getting one. I also had a c section and with dd, my milk came in on day 5. with ds, it was either 4 or 5, i cant remember. Well, she went to the pedi and surprisingly they did not encourage her to supplement and she was talking to the LC the last I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by hardykids View Post
    Hi Nicole,

Did your friend have a difficult c-section (i.e. blood loss, etc...)? The only reason I ask is that I had a c-section in October and lost a lot of blood and it took 6 days for my milk to come in. Unfortunately, the body looks after us before providing for our babies, which is not how we want it. The hospital would not let us go home until we started supplementing with formula, which I did not want and caused me to question my ability to look after my LO. We only supplemented for 3 days until my LO started gaining weight. All I can suggest is to tell your friend to get lots of rest and spend as much time as she can with her baby snuggled right up to her. I hope her milk comes in soon.

Meg

She did have an emergency C section bc baby's heart rate was droppin. 6 days huh? maybe today is the day then!

well, update . . . she went to the LC today and they did a before and after weigh and lo was getting nothing! her latch was fine, she said her milk just hasnt come in yet LC told her to supplement with formula and pump. i kno wmy friend is upset but will keep trying. I hate that he has to get formula, i know its not the end of the world, but . . . ???? I don't know what to tell her. i told her to keep nursing first then pump, and nurse as much as possible . . .

I don't know if it's an option for her, but there are milk banks in some areas. I have also shared my over abundance of milk with mommy friends who are having difficulties, though some people think that's weird...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzomama View Post
    I don't know if it's an option for her, but there are milk banks in some areas. I have also shared my over abundance of milk with mommy friends who are having difficulties, though some people think that's weird...
    I wouldn't have any problem offering, but yeah, i think they might think it weird. in fact while i have no problem offering, i also would feel weird receiving bm from someone . . . idk