Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble with Thrush

Default Trouble with Thrush

This stuff needs to go away. Ok My baby is now 3 1/2 months. SHe got thrush a while back and they gave her nyastatin and gave me the clitromizal cream. Nothing happened didn't change it a bit. Then we moved to violet. nothing. Then we moved to dyflucan. It got it down and then about a week later it came back. Now we are fighting it agian.

Things I have done:

Wash EVERYTHING in hot water and vinager
    boiled binkis
    treated me with everything i have read

I dont know what to do and it is driving me crazy. Does anyone know of anything else I should be doing or can try?

Thank you

Default Re: Trouble with Thrush

My thinking is that its time to take a good long look at your diet. Here is a link to a candida diet. Eating lots of sugar?

One word: YOGURT for both of you. The nystatin has sugar in it which is what the yeast(thrush) live on. Any kind will work for you, but YoBaby brand for the little one. I had to do this and within a week it was gone after 2monts of suffering and 2 bottles of nystatin.

http://www.healin-hollers.com/healing.htm

DS has had thrush for 6 months. At first it was really aggressive. We stopped treating it around 4 months when his immune system starting taking care of it better.

This salve worked better than dyflucan and nystatin (used together) and we still use it for the occassional yeast rash he gets on his cheeks.

There is NOTHING like it to heal sore nipples. Better than lanolin. Just put a nursing pad between it and your clothing because is does contain oils which can stain clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by MomtoZoeMarandaKaley View Post
    This stuff needs to go away. Ok My baby is now 3 1/2 months. SHe got thrush a while back and they gave her nyastatin and gave me the clitromizal cream. Nothing happened didn't change it a bit. Then we moved to violet. nothing. Then we moved to dyflucan. It got it down and then about a week later it came back. Now we are fighting it agian.
    Thrush is evil.

How long did you take the Diflucan?

Did the GV not improve things at all?

Are you being treated together?

Is it possible that you have a bacterial infection?

Are you taking probiotics?

This is the best thrush resource that I know of:
    www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVOctNov98p91.html

Here's Dr. Jack Newman's candida protocol:
    www.kellymom.com/newman/c-candida_protocol.html

Here's some info on probiotics:
    http://www.home.kellymom.net/bf/conc...ng-thrush.html

I am going to try and answer everything that everyone asked. LOL

I don't eat much sugar because it makes me sick most of the time so i just stay away from it all together.

(Kayden's mam) Can I give me LO the Yobaby She is only 3 1/2 months. I know with my middle child I didn't give her any till around 6 months was not sure if it was ok for my LO.

The diflucan was give to me in a one pill treatment. He told me that it would last in my body for a while but i still thought he should have given me more.

The GV did a little bit but not mch at all. I am giving it to her agian and we will see what happens. I am also going to go today and get a good bit of yogurt and yobaby and the acidophilus and see if we can get this under control.

I have no idea if i have some kind of infection or not. The only signs of me having anything is that I have a cold like thing that i get every year when my hubby gets the flu vax. And he has to have it he is in the Army and they dont give him the choice.

Thank you so much for all the help i you can think of anything else I need to do it would be a great help. I am so glad that I came across this forum because there is a lack of support around here for brestfeeding. I was crying my eyes out about a nurseing strike because i had no idea what was going on and called like 10 placesto see if there was anyone i could talk to and no one would help me and then i got the number for a lll counsultant in the next town over and she talked to me untill i calumed down and explained to me that i was not doing anything wrong that it is something that most babies go through and to just keep at it and the trick i needed to try.

Anyway thank you so much for all the help. I have felt kind of alone in my breastfeeding out here in Kansas because no one that i know is sticking it out they do it for a week or two and then giving up. It just means to much to me and my baby to not do it.

Try just rubbing it around in her mouth every couple of hours or just try a couple of spoonfuls in a bottle of EBM. Just as long as she gets some of the live cultures in her system. But the more contact there is between the thrush and the yogurt the faster it will go away.
    I didn't want to start solid foods either, but I gave my son yogurt twice then went back to ebfing, we've had no problems.

just wanted to add to pp that is REALLY important that you continue the treatment(s) WEEKS after the sympthoms are gone: that was what I did wrong with my first 'round' of thrush, and when it reappeared I really continued for 4 weeks after the problem was solved (less than a week in my case to have the sympthoms away) and so far, after 5 months, I haven't had any more problem ()
    yes, my son comfort nurses, and I comfort forum!
    teeth counter now scoring: 11!
    WAHM (though hubby behaves like I'm a SAHM) to Luca Johannes, born 23/04/2007
    as well as his great-grandmother (23/04/1916) and his aunt (23/04/1972)
    - both delighted by the generational continuity...

Quote Originally Posted by kayden's mama View Post
    Try just rubbing it around in her mouth every couple of hours or just try a couple of spoonfuls in a bottle of EBM. Just as long as she gets some of the live cultures in her system. But the more contact there is between the thrush and the yogurt the faster it will go away.
    I agree that yogurt is helpful when a yeast infection is present, however there are other ways to get live cultures into baby. Yogurt is great for older babies, but not so great for a young baby. Here is some info on delaying solids and why:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html

Here is some information on giving probiotics directly to a baby:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...ng-thrush.html

(Kayden's mam) Can I give me LO the Yobaby She is only 3 1/2 months. I know with my middle child I didn't give her any till around 6 months was not sure if it was ok for my LO.
    See my previous post. I would suggest giving probiotics to yourself and baby, and hold off on the yogurt (and other solids) until baby is showing real signs of readiness.

The diflucan was give to me in a one pill treatment. He told me that it would last in my body for a while but i still thought he should have given me more.
    One pill is most often not enough for a ductal yeast infection. Here is some information that you can share with your doctor.
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/20fluconazole.html

That being said, if the prescription is too expensive or your doctor is reluctant to prescribe more than one pill, you may be able to get the thrush under control by being strict with hygeine, watching your diet, treating you and baby both at the same time, and continuing treatments until two weeks AFTER you are symptom-free.

The GV did a little bit but not mch at all. I am giving it to her agian and we will see what happens.
    Here is some information on GV. Be sure that your GV is 1% solution (not higher!). Use a clean swab to dip in each time. And be sure to treat you and baby together.
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/06gentian_violet.html

I have no idea if i have some kind of infection or not. The only signs of me having anything is that I have a cold like thing that i get every year when my hubby gets the flu vax. And he has to have it he is in the Army and they dont give him the choice.
    Sometimes a bacterial infection can be mistaken for yeast. If all the treatments aren't working after a while, you might consider discussing this possiblity with your doctor. He/she might wish to culture your nipples to see what type of infection you are dealing with.

Thank you so much for all the help i you can think of anything else I need to do it would be a great help.
    Again, I would recommend this resource (I'm linking you to an archive page, since the LLLI site seems to be down at the moment):
    http://web.archive.org/web/200602080...tNov98p91.html

Inside, there is information specific to treatments, hygeine, what to look out for, ect.

You may not have heard of grapefruit seed extract. It's a well recognized treatment for yeast infections. Here is some info:
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/bf/thrush.asp

I am so glad that I came across this forum because there is a lack of support around here for brestfeeding...

Anyway thank you so much for all the help. I have felt kind of alone in my breastfeeding out here in Kansas because no one that i know is sticking it out they do it for a week or two and then giving up. It just means to much to me and my baby to not do it.
    We're glad you found the forum, too.

You're doing a GREAT job! Hang in there!