Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: She *REALLY* likes her bananas...

Default Re: She *REALLY* likes her bananas...

The yolk is not allergenic. Eggs are high in iron and fat and things babies need. It has been a traditional first food for generations.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Because of the fact that many children tend to be allergic to egg whites, doctors advise that you avoid egg whites altogether for the first year. If there is a family history of food allergy, then it might be worth excluding egg whites from your baby's diet for the first 2 years.

Well cooked egg yolk, however, can be given to your baby from 6 months of age - although you may want to wait on egg yolk, too, if there is a family history of allergy. The easiest way to separate the yolk from the white is to hard boil the egg, then simply remove the yolk. Alternatively, you can crack a raw egg into two, then tip the yolk back and forth between the shell halves, allowing the white to drain into a cup. However, some traces of egg white may remain and even tiny traces can lead to a severe reaction in an allergic baby.

why take the risk?
    Karina, Neonatal Nurse, mother to Martin, born at 33 weeks 02/11/2007...
    I love ...... .....my baby loves it

I relactated....IT CAN BE DONE!!!

I also love
    Tried to

I had heard that boiling them first and then peeling off the white is a good way to ensure there is none left on the yolk. Makes sense to me.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Quote Originally Posted by karinamillanao View Post
    I beg to differ with the egg issue. Eggs are HIGHLY ALLERGENIC!!! and allergic reactions to egg are quite severe, that is why they are recommended after the first year, specially the whites (the proteins in the whites contain allergens...)....and it is practically imposible to separate the yolks from the whites completely.

So I would wait until giving eggs, certainly NOT A FIRST FOOD.
    Our pedi said absolutely NO eggs until after a year old, later if we can hold it off!

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

As the pp said Bananas are consitpating. Have you tried prunes? My LO Loved the Gerber Organic Puree prunes and still eats them from time to time. Also, coconut milk is a natural "get you going" food. It is also very high in fat which out LO's need.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    I had heard that boiling them first and then peeling off the white is a good way to ensure there is none left on the yolk. Makes sense to me.
    There is ALWAYS chance of cross contamination.