Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: She *REALLY* likes her bananas...

Default She *REALLY* likes her bananas...

So I started the little one out on solids. Nothing major mind, but just to get her new tastes and such.

The first thing I tried to give her was sweet potato. She made a face at me (it was SO CUTE) that was like "Mom, what are you doing to me?!" but she ate them. Unfortunately I put the rest in the fridge and forgot about it and they went bad, so she only got one taste of it.

I had also bought bananas. I tried those yesterday... I put a couple baby-spoonfuls in a bowl, set her up in her bumbo on the couch and offered it to her. At first she didn't want anything to do with it. But once she had a taste... if she could have crawled out of that bumbo (she hasn't figured it out) she'd have done so to get to them! She literally was diving at the spoon whenever I'd get ready to give it to her.

This morning I doubled what I gave her yesterday -- 4 spoons instead of 2. She ate them all, and this time she knew what it was from the start and she was all about eating it. She kept grabbing for the bowl, and I let her play with it when it was empty. She stuck her hand in and was feeling all around it... I gave her a 5 oz bottle of breast milk afterwards and she finished most of it.

So I wonder... would you offer your little one more if they showed this reaction to the food? So far she hasn't shown any signs of allergy, though she's still in the 3 day wait it out period. I'm pretty sure though that if she was going to have a reaction she would have by now.
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.

Default Re: She *REALLY* likes her bananas...

When we first started solids, we'd try a food and give it a day or two. For the first few weeks he didn't have solids every day just to make sure he didn't have any allergic reactions (which he didn't) and to give his tummy a chance to adjust. It's so fun when you see them eat something they like--they are so cute!

The only thing about banana is that it can be constipating. As long as she's not having trouble with that, I think it's fine to give it to her.

Well she had a good poop this morning so the 2 spoonfulls I gave her yesterday didn't bind her up. We'll see how she handles the 4 today.

I only offered her some today because she liked it so much yesterday and the food is only good for 2 days after it's opened. I'd hate to waste it (though with the bananas, I know I'll eat 'em just fine if it comes to that).

I got my VBAC!

Bananas are definitely constipating. It is what I started DD with but it took a while for the problems to start. You may see little red/brown threads in her poops. Don't freak out (I did)!! Then after that her poops got way firmer and stinkier. Then she started straining and crying. It has really been a nightmare ever since (almost a year now).

Consequently, I really don't think bananas are a great first food. Yes, they are yummy. DD still can't pass one up, so we have to keep them out of the house for the most part. Some better ideas might be soft-boiled egg yolks or avocadoes, since babies have such high fat requirements.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Bananas are consitpating but dd LOVES them so much I can't refuse her. WE jstu give juice to help loosen it up. I read that you should never limit the amount of food to give baby. Let them eat until they are done. We have stuck by this. I jsut make as much as I think she'll eat and if she is looking for more, I warm more up. She ate WAY more in the begining than I could have imagined. Now at 1o months she'll just about anything I give her.

eat away!
    Proud wife to Pete, 5-9-04
    Proud 1st time mom to Lilly 2-1-07 born at 36 weeks, 5lbs 1 oz, au natural!

http://www.lillybugdesigns.com
    Handmade accessories for mom and baby
    All made with love, and by hand[/COLOR]

Thomas loves banana and avocado mixed together with a little breast milk, in case that sounds like something she might to try.

I unfortunately don't have the time to make her food, so I give her the canned bananas. I tried once to give her some mashed up banana with breast milk in it and she didn't like it one bit.

I got my VBAC!

Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    Some better ideas might be soft-boiled egg yolks or avocadoes, since babies have such high fat requirements.

I beg to differ with the egg issue. Eggs are HIGHLY ALLERGENIC!!! and allergic reactions to egg are quite severe, that is why they are recommended after the first year, specially the whites (the proteins in the whites contain allergens...)....and it is practically imposible to separate the yolks from the whites completely.

So I would wait until giving eggs, certainly NOT A FIRST FOOD.
    Karina, Neonatal Nurse, mother to Martin, born at 33 weeks 02/11/2007...
    I love ...... .....my baby loves it

I relactated....IT CAN BE DONE!!!

I also love
    Tried to

Quote Originally Posted by karinamillanao View Post
    So I would wait until giving eggs, certainly NOT A FIRST FOOD.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

I don't know if you've tried this in re: to banana...but if you buy only 1 or 2 bananas at a time...it really does not take but maybe 10 seconds to prepare your own. The key to it is letting the bananas get really ripe. Like almost yuck. The riper they are, the sweeter they are and hence baby likes them more. They are also easier to mash.

I'd just get 1 or 2 bananas and set them out on the counter. When they start getting really ripe take 1, place it in a plastic bowl and mush it with a fork...very easy to do and takes all of 10 seconds. No need to add anything. Then offer her however much she wants. Once she's done, put a lid on that and put it in the fridge and offer it to her later. You can even offer it cold and if she's teething, she'd probably really enjoy them.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!