Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: our weaning story...

Default our weaning story...

I think this is the first time I've ever posted in here before! Anyway, I just wanted to share... My daughter, Jaden, is almost 20 months old. She had only been wanting to nurse twice a day since about 14-15 months. She nursed before her nap and before bedtime. I figured those nursing sessions would last as long as I wanted her to continue to nap. I didn't think she'd ever be ready to go to bed without nursing...and I have to admit- I was really OK with that. Anyway, each day last week, as we went up to her bedroom for her nap, she'd ask for her "bubby" (her blankey) and bear. Usually, she'd always ask for "milk" too. This week, she didn't ask. So, I offered. I asked her, "Do you want milk?", "No milk, nite-nite" was her reply every afternoon! And she'd lean from my arms toward her crib, laying her head on her hands. I'd lay her down, and she went to sleep! Then, on Thursday evening, when I went to put her to bed, she did the same thing. On Friday, she went to stay with my inlaws as I work weekends and my husband is sick. So I'm really hoping that she'll at least want to nurse for a little bit when I see her either tonight or tomorrow...

I'm not sure why I'm posting this. I don't have any questions that I need answered. I guess I just have mixed feelings about our nursing relationship possibly coming to an end. I'm certainly not writing her off as completely done already, but I can see that she doesn't need to nurse the way she used to need it.

In the beginning, I wasn't even sold on nursing. When I was pregnant, I said, if it works, we'll do it, if not, we'll change and do whatever works. Well, it didn't work. It was hard. It hurt. I bled. I cried. But I am stubborn. I think those weeks of difficulty are what made me promise to do what was best for my child. I couldn't give up on something just because it was tough for me when I really knew how good it would be for her. I never thought I'd be nursing at a year. And now, at nearly 20 months, I'm still not ready to have her give it up completely.

But she does still need me, quite obviously, just in different ways. Now, she asks for "loves" (hugs) and "smooches" (kisses). She is not a snuggler, but at least a couple of times each day, she'll ask to sit on my lap and she'll give me hugs and kisses. She really is growing into such a smart and beautiful toddler!

It's amazing...
    ~Jaden Mae 04-05-06~
    --Self-weaned at 21 months--
    ~Avery Lynne 11-27-08~
    --Self-weaned at 23 months--
    ~Elise June 02-12-11~
    --Nursing like a champ--

Default Re: our weaning story...

“Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Default Re: our weaning story...

yeah, no kidding-
    the no milk, nite, nite really brought tears to my eyes!