Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When do you give the solids?

Default When do you give the solids?

My lo is 7 mths old now and not getting into the solids much. She had been begging since about 5 mths so I thought she'd really take to it. Here's my question, when to give them? She's awake 3 hrs at a time, so we nurse first and then play, and then solids about 2 hrs into this 3 hr cycle. She just doesn't seem that hungry to me and if I wait too much later, she is getting fussy since its getting close to nap time. I'm just not sure if I should do anything differently or if its just her being slow (which is fine too). Thanks!
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

Default Re: When do you give the solids?

I feed solids when DS "asks" for them by smacking his lips repeatedly, or when he goes ga-ga for something I'm eating. He is 8 months old and we don't do solids everyday. He loves them a bit too much.

We have the same time issues with feeding solids my D only stays up for 2 hours! I nurse and wait 1 hour - 1 1/2 hour to do solids once in the am after she wakes up and once about 2 hours before bed. We do 2T Jarred Oatmeal & 2T fruit for breakfast and 2T veggies & 2T fruit for dinner. I nurse about 5 times per day. hope this helps

We nurse when he wakes about 7:30 and then by 9 (whenever we sit down to breakfast with my dd,normally around 8:30) I offer ds baby oatmeal mixed with a jar of fruit (mixed with EBM) then he does "dinner". He nurses around 4 or 4:30 then I offer again right before we eat dinner around 5:30/6. I then give him 1 jar of veggies (sometimes a fruit too but mostly not!) that's it for my LO (well of course he nurses lots more! About 7 times total usually! ) Hope that helps!

Just offer when she seems to be in the mood. Let her eat however much or little she wants. That's it! You're doing fine...

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

My dd didn't start to get interested until 8 or 9 months and even then it was just for fun.

She was more serious about her solid meals at around 13 or 14 months.

Ounce for ounce, your breast milk has more calories and is more nutritious than any of those first foods. Anything at this point is purely for texture, practice and fun.

Going slow is just fine!!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

DS naps every 2-3 hours during the day. If I give him solids when he's getting tired, he's not interested and fusses. Now he has his solids after his midday(ish) nap. When he's awake he nurses, then I change him and then he has solids.

I'm also going to introduce a late afternoon/early evening meal.

He never swallows much, but enjoys tasting and touching food and his dexterity has improved a lot too.

DS only got solids when we were having dinner around that age and really it's just for fun. About a month ago he really started eating a lot more now he eats breakfast, snack/lunch, and dinnerat almost 11 mo.

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!