Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help with Pumping & Oversupply

Default Help with Pumping & Oversupply

Greetings!
    I am new to LLL forums and am a new mom. My son is now almost 6 weeks and I have to return to work in 2 more weeks. I just got my Medela pump and need to start pumping to get him introduced to a bottle, but to also start a supply and practice for my return to full-time work. I have an issue with oversupply and an overactive letdown that has finally started to calm down due to block nursing and feeding with the baby in a position higher than the nipple. My concern/question is how do I continue to bf at home for the next 2 weeks during the day and pump without creating more issues with oversupply? My little one eats every 1.5-2 hours with the exception of the evenings where he gebnerally goes 3-4 hours while sleeping. Any help would be so much appreciated as I am terrified of making more touble for myself and my little one.

Default Re: Help with Pumping & Oversupply

Honestly, since you already have an ample supply, you probably won't need to build up too much of a freezer stash before returning to work. I had the same problems with oversupply and let down and found that I pumped better than double what my son drank while at work. To pump for "training" bottles and to build up a small freezer supply, you can probably get what you need by pumping once a day right after the first feed in the morning when your supply is most abundant. Pumping just once a day shouldn't increase your overall supply too much. Good luck!

Default Re: Help with Pumping & Oversupply

Thanks for the advice. I tried my first pump last night while he was asleep & only got 2oz, but I realize that is pretty standard for a 1st try. I will attempt next time in the AM.