Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How does Avent ISIS IQ Duo Compare to PIS Medela?

Red face How does Avent ISIS IQ Duo Compare to PIS Medela?

I haven't had my baby yet, but at $300+ a pop, I want to make sure I get a good & comfortable breast pump, since I will have to pump at work. The ISIS IQ Duo really appeals to me, but I can't find anyone who knows about it and the PIS by Medela.

We need Consumer Reports to rate and compare breast pumps like they do everything else......

Has anyone tried both? Any opinions on how good the ISIS IQ DUO is?

Default Re: How does Avent ISIS IQ Duo Compare to PIS Medela?

I have the Medela PIS and the Avent IS IQ and I absolutely love the Avent pump! I had been using the PIS for a couple of months and my milk supply seemed to be decreasing and I was having a lot of trouble pumping. So, I bought the Avent IQ and it has made such a difference! It's super comfy and the speed and suction variables are never ending. I would recommend this pump to anyone!!

I LOVE the isis IQ duo. I have been using it for several months now. It's quiet and very effective. Have never used the Pump in Style but when I googled Avent Isis IQ duo + review, I found one or two reviews where women had used both and they all preferred the Isis. Can't be many who would purchase both, I would imagine, expensive enough to purchase one!

I don't know anything about the Avent ISIS pump but, I just recently purchased the PIS Medela and am not very happy with it. It seems as though my milk supply is beginning to diminish. Previously, I'd been using an Evenflo single pump and was getting about 5 ounces every three hours. I was very interested in the PIS as it's a dual pump and anything to save time is a necessity with a new baby. But, after having used the PIS for four days, I'm only getting 3 to 3.5 ounces every three hours, even with pumping until no more milk comes out. I'm beginning to get very discouraged with this. I've had to switch to exclusively pumping because of breastfeeding issues but now am wondering if I'm going to have to supplement with formula just to ensure my daughter is getting enough to eat!

Anyway, good luck with your delivery and with your pump choice!

i have the medela pis at home, but i work in hospital and have acess to their pumps, although i also have noticed a decrease in my pumped amount. i will actually still be able to hand express (alot) after getting nothing from pumping 9both at home and work). i am also very sore from pumping so often to keep up supply. i am not a satisfied pis user.

Whenever you experience problems with output decreasing while using a pump, it's worthwhile to investigate the pump for wear or damage. The valves between sections of the pump can become worn and decrease effectiveness. If after inspecting it yourself you don't see any problems, it can be beneficial to take it to someone who services pumps who can evaluate the suction and tune the pump if it isn't performing optimally. The best way to find someone is to go back to whomever you purchased it from (if you got it from an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant) or look on the manufaturer's website for local dealers. Pumps, like other mechanical equipment, do require periodic checks, cleaning, and maintenance to ensure they function properly.

I'm also glad to hear positive reviews of the new Avent pump - it's a newer pump and I hadn't heard much about it yet. It's worth mentioning that some women respond better to different pumps, and this can even change over time. I used a Lactina Select (hospital-grade) pump at work when pumping while my son was young, and at some point around 9 months started noticing a decrease in suction. I switched to a Pump In Style (using the same bottles, valves, etc.) and found the decrease eliminated. My body had just stopped responding well to the Lactina. I also found that at some point I really had to refocus on pumping, as I had been multi-tasking during pumping sessions and that eventually was causing output problems.

As for which pump to get, at LLL we don't recommend specific pumps, but getting a high-quality double electric pump and double pumping frequently when separated from your baby is the best way to maintain your supply and ensure you can continue to provide breastmilk for your child. Good for you for thinking about this ahead of time!

Warmly,

Karen Smith
    LLL Leader, IL

Smile Re: How does Avent ISIS IQ Duo Compare to PIS Medela?

I am an OBGYN resident (my first baby is 11 weeks old now old now-- I went back to work when she was 7 weeks) and I work 12 hour days and I pump with the IQ duo. I get a minimum of 6 ounces at each pumping session, and that's in like 15 minutes. (I don't have time to wait for let down #2 unfortunately...) My second day back to work was a call day (24 hour shift) and I pumped 32 ounces in those 24 hours with my IQ.

The nice thing about it too, is that it comes with the valves to convert to manual if you don't have electrical access. I was at a conference this past Thursday and had to use it manually and I figured I'd probably only get 4 oz total, and I got EIGHT OUNCES!!! I really think the massage cushion is the magic with this pump. For those who have issues with the seal with the cushion, using it a little wet has made the seal tight for me.

One of my friends at work (an RN) uses the hospital grade pump at work, and only gets 2-3 ounces at a time, (and this is her 5th baby, she's BF all of them) and was so impressed by the results I've had with my Isis IQ.

On the BB R us website you can read reviews of both pumps, but since the IQ is so new, only a few people have reviewed it. One thing I found gross that people complained about was the milk getting moldy in the tubing lines of the PIS. The milk never touches the tubing in the IQ, and you can pump right into a hard bottle, a disposable plastic bottle (Via) or Avent's disposable bags.

God Bless you and Good luck, and congratulations on making the best choice for your baby!!

Thumbs up Re: How does Avent ISIS IQ Duo Compare to PIS Medela?

I was very hesistant to purchase the Avent Isis Duo because of the price, but I had the Isis Back to Work and I loved it, so I figured I couldn't go wrong with the Duo. I absolutely love the Duo. With my first child, six years ago, I had the Medela PIS and I ended up selling it after owning it for 3 months...because I "dried up." I remember hurting whenever I used the PIS too, which probably played a part in my weak production, so getting the PIS with my second was not even an option.

Pros for Avent Isis Duo: Suction is great. Bag is super nice. My production is much better. No milk caught in tubes. The massage cushions are nice and makes pumping very comfortable, and the let down fast.

Cons for Avent Isis Duo: Cords are hard to bend, so packing and unpacking can be a bear. It's top heavy (the pump) so you have to be careful so it doesn't tip (I've had a 2 oz mishap! sob). Also, milk does get caught under the valve, so you have to dump it into the bottle manually.

By far the BIGGEST pro for me is how much I can produce when pumping with the Isis Duo...which to me makes it worth every penny.
    Last edited by aluvsb; June 14th, 2006 at 05:18 PM.