Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Winning baby back after bite?

Default Winning baby back after bite?

My 14.5 month old has gotten into biting the last two weeks. And at each incident I put my finger in his mouth, rescue my nipple, tell him "no, don't bite mommy. It hurts and makes mommy sad. Be gentle". And if he does it again I do the same thing except I add a gentle tap on his mouth. Today he must have made the connection or taken offense by it because he had a fit after I did it. He didn't want anything to do with nursing after that. I ended up having to give him a bottle of my ebm for naptime.
    Now I'm all worried that he won't nurse again. How do you balance biting discipline and maintain a good nursing relationship? I don't want to stop nursing him. I just don't want to get bit anymore. Any thoughts?
    Sylvie
    Mom to Alex
    born 9/14/06

m/c 3.19.09

Default Re: Winning baby back after bite?

When my son bites I rescue my nipple and say "no biting" with a serious voice. If he does it again afterwards, I say no biting again and put him down in his bed and not nurse him for a while. Works most of the time.

Instead of tapping try a time-out in a safe room. Be firm, and consistent each time. Clunk the door shut, wait around 30 seconds to a minute.

True, you have a point. I should have mentioned the other first. We advanced to timeouts after the stern sad didn't convey the msg. He broke skin.

DS has gone on strike b/c of teeth hurting more than once. As for the biting, try to watch your lo for signs he is about to bite like changes in his expression or jaw, then be proactive. Hang in there! It's gotten much better for us since the teeth finally came in.

I would skip the "tapping" and also the bottle. When my DS was going through his bad biting phase I would unlatch him and put him down immediately for a few seconds telling him "no biting. biting hurts mommy" - sort of a mini time-out. And we wouldn't go back to nursing right away. We'd read a book or go outside or have a snack. I took the biting to mean he wasn't serious about nursing right then. If he asked to nurse again I'd let him, but do the same thing if he bit again. It took a long time, but he eventually got the message (he was 9-13 months - a bit younger than your LO).
    Good luck. I know how bad biting hurts. DS would draw blood almost every day for awhile - nursing became so painful. (We're lucky that his first words weren't "@#^%# $*&#^!".) But we got through it and you will too. Our nursing relationship is back on track now and the biting is a distant memory.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

My LO totally took offense to it. He wouldn't nurse for the afternoon nap either. He threw the same kind of fit, nursing strike kind of stuff; screaming, crying, turning away.. I am so dead.

Maybe tonight with the "in the middle of the night" feeding I can re-establish it... I hope...
    Sylvie
    Mom to Alex
    born 9/14/06

m/c 3.19.09

Quote Originally Posted by shm04 View Post
    My LO totally took offense to it. He wouldn't nurse for the afternoon nap either. He threw the same kind of fit, nursing strike kind of stuff; screaming, crying, turning away.. I am so dead.

Maybe tonight with the "in the middle of the night" feeding I can re-establish it... I hope...
    When my son started biting around 10 months I screamed at him and he went for a 12 day nursing strike. I continued offering the breast and after a couple of days he went back to the night nursing. We gradually improved things from there. It will pass hang in there and don't give the bottle. My son wouldn't take the bottle anyway but even if they take it giving bottle instead of the breast during a strike might lead to weaning. We did spoon-feeding but you can try a cup at that age.

My DD was younger than your LO when she did the biting thing, but what worked for us was to offer less often. I guess I was assuming she was hungry when she wasn't. Definitely I would not do bottles if you want to end the strike.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.