Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: hiccups and frequent night waking

Default hiccups and frequent night waking

My 13 month old has always nursed every 2 hours throughout the night. Lately he has been waking more frequently, and its been harder to get him back to sleep. Last night he woke up an hour after going down, then 2 hours later, then a half hour later. DH had to rock him for an hour. The past 2 days he has had the hiccups nonstop. Is reflux something they can develop later? He was a VERY colicky newborn, and I would label him "high need" as he still nurses very frequently day and night, is very clingy and does not play independently for very long. There has been no changes in his diet. He does eat alot of cheese and yogurt, and but has for awhile now. Any ideas/suggestions? He did just cut molar, but its all the way through and his constant wakings are continuing. DH is getting so frustrated and starting to say "attachment parenting is for the birds" (half jokingly). He says if it wasn't for me he would have done CIO a long time ago.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Default Re: hiccups and frequent night waking

Yes, reflux is something that a person can develop at any stage in life. And while most pediatricians will tell you that there is no relationship between hiccups and reflux, most people with reflux or with reflux babies will tell you that there is. Colicky and "high needs" babies also abound among refluxers. Silent reflux can certainly cause frequent night wakings as well (as is the case with my lo). And teething can exacerbate it. That being said, I wouldn't just assume that that is what is going on.

Is he crying when he wakes up/is awake? Giving signs he's in pain (arching his back, crying or fussing because of the hiccups, etc). There are tests that can be done to determine if reflux is present, but they are very invasive, so if there's no indication of pain or aspiration or weight loss/feeding aversion they generally aren't done.

If there's no pain evident, you might try doing some reflexology (I'll PM a chart to you if you're interested) to ease the hiccups. There was also a thread recently about hiccup cures you might want to check out.

I hope, for all of your sakes, that it is just a temporary teething/development stage! Good luck!

Is he coughing at night? Do you hear him regurgitate? If not, I suspect it is reflux. If he got a molar, it is very likely that the others are on the way and in my experience the time prior to the cutting of the teeth is the hardest on children. It may be hurting him. Also around that age my son started doing the same thing at night which slowed down after a while. It may be a developmental thing.

Quote Originally Posted by KathrynK View Post
    ? He did just cut molar, but its all the way through and his constant wakings are continuing.
    One molar or both, how many so far? What about the incisors, they come along quickly behind.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Well, he cut two bottom molars. One about 3 weeks ago, and one a couple days ago. It could be more teeth too. Maybe it is the incisors? He isn't coughing, and Yes, I would like to try the reflexology.

He started walking about 2 weeks ago, yet he has always been clingy.

He always cries when he wakes up, and cries hard. I would never let him CIO. DH wouldn't either, I think he was just venting(well, maybe a little longer than the 30 seconds I give him) but he would be vomiting within minutes. He is very intense!

He doesn't arch his back when he wakes. He just cries out for us. We take turns tending to him. Most of the time I nurse him back down, but if I just nursed him within the hour, then DH will rock him back. However, if DH rocks him back, he usually wakes up much sooner for milkies. We have tried putting him in bed with us tons of times, and he just grabs our noses and wants to play. He gets up on all fours and gets excited. We keep on trying though.

I hate to do the reflux testing. I think I will hold off on that. I will check out some of the hiccup posts on here. Thanks!

No way would I expect Ds to play independently for an hour!!! He will not even play for more than 2 minutes without dh or I there with him. I KWYM though, I would miss the constant snuggles.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK