Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should I do about this?!??!

Default What should I do about this?!??!

Okay so my lo will be 9 months on the 3rd and doesn't really take much in the way of solid food. I offer it at meal times with us at the table and he will only take a few bites and then be done. The ped told me he should be getting about 2 meals a day that is not breastmilk but I can't even get him to eat a single serving of baby food. How am I supposed to do this. What can I say? He just prefers the boob! The only thing I can get him to take more than like 2 bites is bananas, which is good, but he needs more than that. After a few bites, he refuses and then cries to be given the good stuff. I swear he thinks just because he knows it is there... Why should he settle for the other crap? Any advice would be helpful. I am at a loss

Default Re: What should I do about this?!??!

What foods have you tried? Spoon feeding? Letting him self feed? If you've been offering baby food, how about trying some "real" foods?

We did baby led solids and my DS didn't eat much until he was about 8.5 mo, so your LO isn't much older.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Well we have a TON of baby food that we got for free and I don't want it to go to waste. I know that probably sounds pretty stupid, but I hate the thought of wasting food. I looked into baby led solids and am not sure how to go about that? What is okay to give him? Meat? just the side dishes? The whole thing confuses me. I am terrified of him choking. Last time I gave him food from my plate he choked so hard that he ended up projectile vomiting across a restraunt to get it out. I felt like such a horrible mommy. Could you explain this to me? Oh yeah we let him eat little snacks by himself, but all the other foods I have been spoon feeding him, though he seems interested in taking the spoon into his own hands. Should I let him? I can deal with a mess if it means he is going to eat.

You've asked the right RG for chocking vs. gagging!!

you RG!
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

I'd start with mushy soft foods like avocado or banana. I separate the banana into its natural 1/3 parts. Small pieces. I also just used to plop some down so he could have some fun with it. Its about having a new discover right now, and less about "ok, I need to fill him up". I have read that until age one bm is first and solids the supplement.

Okay what is RG? I feel stupid asking but hey

I will definately have to try the bananas and avacodos...anything else?

Here is the main authority on Baby Led Weaning:

http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedseli...uidelines.html

It talks about choking/gagging, that kind of stuff.

He really doesn't need anything but breastmilk until at least a year.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Quote Originally Posted by soon2bemomagain View Post
    Okay what is RG? I feel stupid asking but hey

I will definately have to try the bananas and avacodos...anything else?
    RG is Research Girl, who is Lynn! There are other RG's that have stepped up, but she comes through every time! I'm sure she will pop in some time today. You could browse her posts in solids section for lots of ideas.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Just wanted to say that my DS sounds a lot like your LO. He didn't want much to do with solids in his first year. I kept feeding on demand. He also didn't want to be spoon fed...he HATED it.

So, I started with the easy-to-dissolve finger foods, like those Gerber puffs, Cheerios, etc. I'd give him little things off my plate, if he seemed interested in them. Once he mastered those, I moved on to more "solid" food. Bananas are definitely a good first choice. Kids usually love them, and they are easy to chew.

I bought a whole bunch of baby food for DS. Most of it was given to friends who had a baby the same age. Or, you can mix the veggies in with pasta sauce.

And the PP's are right--any solids in the first year are a bonus, but breastmilk is all your LO needs.

RG is a nickname I got for being "research girl" (lots of deputy research girls here, too).

I just bumped a thread on choking vs. gagging - and if you click here it will take you to that thread.

Choking = obstructed airway, LO can't breathe, very bad - need to clear airway immediately!

Gagging = very dramatic coughing, possibly turning red in the face, possibly throwing up (my DS did all of these when he started solids) - traumatic for mom to watch but often part of LO learning how to eat solids

I HIGHLY recommend that all parents (and caregivers) take an infant CPR class so they can learn the correct way to help their LO if they do choke.

As for baby led solids - the idea is to let baby self feed when they are ready, and baby sets the pace for what, when & how much they want to eat. People start with soft foods like avocado, banana, sweet potato.

I wasn't suggesting that you need to do BLS with your LO, just mentioned it as context for my DS didn't start to eat until he was about the age yours is now.

I was asking about what you do for solids now because some LO prefer more texture and/or self feeding and may just not be all that interested in purees on a spoon. Other LO love being spoon fed. Alot of personal preference in those LO. At 9 mo your LO is probably able to (or will be soon) pick up food and self feed. Other good first finger foods include Cheerios type cereals (can soften first with a little bit of breastmilk) or the baby "puffs".

And - some people find that the transtion to LO eating solids is helped by using a mesh feeder.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)