Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Penga's discharge postponed

Default Re: Penga's discharge postponed

I am so sorry, that must have been so disappointing

The exact same thing happened with my dd in May this year. She was supposed to come home the next day and in the wee hrs of the morning she had a Brady that required stimulation to bring her back....FINALLY they decided to wait only 5 says and send her home on a heart/breathing monitor. Maybe a monitor is an option for you.

Honestly, dd is just over 6 months and has been brady and apnea free for 4 mths and I have not given up the monitor yet (we only use it when she sleeps now). You get kinda dependent on it

We had a similar situation when it was Lorenzo's turn to be discharged, and I just about fell apart -- with all the expectations of getting to bring him home, the hope and anticipation. It felt really crushing at the time. I'm so sorry you're having to go through that.

Thank you, everyone! I feel better to know that we are not alone.

I heard today that Penga can come home after 5 days of observation. Penga will also have echo cardiogram on Monday. Hopefully by next weekend, I can deliver a happy news.

- - - Penga (@ 32 weeks gestational) and my DH

Mother of two girls:
    Sydney (born 10/31/01- nursed until 3 yrs & 10 mos)
    Penga (born 08/15/07 - former 25 weeker who loves to nurse)

& no more!

My prayers and thoughts are with you and Penga.... be strong!!! soon will be home with you...

Unhappy Re: Penga's discharge postponed

Penga had another brady & desat yesterday..... So discharge was postponed again

I suspect that the brady might be associated with reflux - both minor desats and a major brady happend right after feeding time with reglan. I noticed that Penga usually have lots of reflux around the time reglan wears out and after the feeding when reglan is given with (not before) the breastmilk.

I would discuss the dosage of the reflux meds (and the methods that they are given) with the doctor and pharmacist tomorrow.

We are also discussing with the hospital having Penga transferred to the local hospital. Commuting to the hospital is becoming a burden to us at this moment and I also feel that I can visit her more often (and nurse her smaller amount of feeding more often) if she is a bit closer.....

I am disappointed. I cried when the doctor told me about the brady episode. I want Penga to be with us so badly. Hope this phase will pass soon!

Let me know what you guys did when you feel like you hit wall like this. I have been trying to eat my favorite food (sushi, cream-puff, fruits) and exercise, stay close to my family with lots of cuddling......
    - - - Penga (@ 32 weeks gestational) and my DH

Mother of two girls:
    Sydney (born 10/31/01- nursed until 3 yrs & 10 mos)
    Penga (born 08/15/07 - former 25 weeker who loves to nurse)

& no more!

awe I'm glad you put that picture on of her and your hubby! It's cute!
    WEll keep praying for no more set backs.
    Andrea

Be strong WakaWaka... as much as you want Penga with you, she needs to be fully recover to come home. You dont want no set back and of course you want her to recover. I know how difficul it is to past through this, one of the most common questions I had to the NICU staff was "when is my baby coming home?" even if she had a set back. Because all I could think back then was to have my baby with me. Remember she needs to recover so that you and your family can enjoyer. I did lots of crying on my own, I could cry all night, during the day etc.... then I will think that the best for her is to be watch by expert and that I didnt have anything in my power to make her feel better more then what I was doing.... I would say to my self that for now that was the best place for her recovery..... I know how you feel, my baby had so many set backs... that at the end I stopped asking she was she going home.... So be strong, may be nothing that you read can help... but be strong for your baby she needs you the same way that you needs her, but she needs you strong.... For now make the most when you go visit her, I used to play with her, talk to her, well when I was in the hospital I use to make my attitude the most positive... I know you will hear from more mom... you are alone and all of us are waiting for Penga to feel better..... Just live one day at a time!!!!

I cried a lot. I tried to remind myself that, as with all things, this too shall pass, but it wasn't so easy to do. So I cried. And I held onto my husband and we cried together. I held Lorenzo against my skin and closed my eyes and tried to touch the gratitude I felt for the fact that he was even alive. What you are going through is really difficult and you can honor yourself, your heart, and the suffering of everyone who has walked in your shoes by allowing your heart to feel its pain... That is never a sign of weakness, it is a sign of the greatest strength there is -- the open heart of a mother loving her child.

you are alone and all of us are waiting for Penga to feel better.....

Sorry ment to say "You are NOT alone" ....