Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: what else is there to do?

Default what else is there to do?

my son is now 3 months old, he started loosingweight and after a 24hr period of test weights to see how much milk he was getting we found out hes been getting no more than 90ml. so have had to top him up with formula, i have tried everything to increase my milk including domiperidone, complan, brewers yeast, rest... nothing has worked... since brayden has been on formula we have also found out he has milk protein allergies so has to have special formula available only the the chemist.. i was so so determined to breastfeed him and im so guttered im not able to give him more... so is there anything i could try to increase it other than what iv tried? thanx, Melissa

Default Re: what else is there to do?

Hi Melissa

I'm sorry that you've had so many problems. That must be very frustrating and heartbreaking. Have you have been working with professionals or LLL leaders in your area?

In addition to what you said you had already tried, some women find that fenugreek or oatmeal helps. Co-sleeping and letting the baby have full access to the breast all night can help as well.

Some mothers who go through this nurse their babies as much as they can and supplement with formula as needed. Any breastmilk you can give your baby will benefit them. When it is necessary for you to supplement, you can hold your baby close like you would if they were at the breast.

My heart goes out to you. I wish I had more advice for you.

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Default Re: what else is there to do?

Perhaps you can talk to your doctor about Reglan... it's a prescription medicine that's used to treat acid reflux, but has also been found to increase prolactin. I took it for about a week, and it seriously increased my supply.

Smile Re: what else is there to do?

Neither reglan nor fenugreek worked for me. TRY OATMEAL WITH SOME MAPLE SYRUP EVERYDAY FOR BREAKFAST/DINNER WITH SOME FRUIT LIKE BANANA. IT WORKS GREAT! GOOD LUCK!!