Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Menstrual Cycle

Default Menstrual Cycle

Hello Ladies,
    Question to all!!
    When should our menstrual cycles return?
    :

Default Re: Menstrual Cycle

I think it differs for every woman. Some don't get it back until they completely wean, others get it back as soon as there's regular times that baby goes longer then 4 hours without eating, and others get it as soon as solids are started. And sometimes it happens sooner then any of that.

I haven't gotten mine back yet at 4 months. My LO still nurses pretty frequently day and night though too. I'm dreading getting it back personally.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

Still period free at nine months. He still nurses pretty frequently though so don't know what to tell you. Enjoy it while it last though.

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I got my period back fairly quickly but I think it's because my LO didn't nurse for the first five weeks. I pumped and added what I got to formula. But at six weeks we were nursing successfully. It was at that time that she also started sleeping through the night which was great! But the downside was a return of my period and a drop in supply.

I got mine back when Kayleigh was 8 months old and it ruined my whole day. I was hoping i'd be one of the women who wouldn't get it back until I weaned.

Quote Originally Posted by Dez0106 View Post
    When should our menstrual cycles return?
    http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com/menstruation.html
    Almost anything is considered normal when it comes to your periods while breastfeeding. All women experience a time of postpartum bleeding following birth which is not considered a menstrual period. If bottle-feeding, most mothers will have their first real period not long after this. Breastfeeding, however, suppresses menstruation at least for a while. For some mothers, there may be an absence of menstruation for weeks, months, and even years while still breastfeeding. Some mothers will even need to completely wean before they see their first period. Others, once their babies begin taking supplemental foods or sleeping longer periods at night, will see the first period. Once menstruation returns it may continue to be irregular during lactation. It's not uncommon to have a shorter or longer than normal period while breastfeeding. It's also not abnormal to skip a period or see the first period return and then find that months pass before the next one.
    HTH

I got mine at 5.5 weeks post partum.. and every month since then.. yep she is totally breastfed... I think its because she slept a 6 hour stretch at night without eating since birth...
    its not so bad. We do NFP so charting is easier now that with cycles...

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

I got my period about 5 weeks after my baby was born. 40 days after that I got another one. I am currently waiting for the third one. I have had unprotected sex. Could I be pregnant?

yes i only got one period and got pregnant when my son was 6 months. i have never been happier though daughter is 7 weeks

mine returned new year's eve. dd was about 10 1/2 months but it was very light and short.