Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not Enough Milk....should I Supplement

Unhappy Not Enough Milk....should I Supplement

HELLO GIRLS. I REALLY REALLY NEED SOME ADVICE/HELP. MY DAUGHTER IS 7 WEEKS OLD NOW. I'VE BEEN THROUGH THE RINGER. I'VE HAD A STAPHE INFECTION ON MY NIPPLES, CLOGGED DUCTS, DUCT INFECTION, MASTITIS, UTI AND THRUSH. I THOUGHT I MADE IT THROUGH WITH SOME LIGHT ONLY TO COME TO FIND OUT THAT I'M NOT PRODUCING ENOUGH MILK....? MY DAUGHTER IS NOT GAINING WEIGHT, JUST MAINTAINING. I WAS TOLD TO SUPPLEMENT 3 OZ. PER DAY OF FORMULA. I'M CURRENTLY TAKING DOMPERIDONE 12 PILLS PER DAY, FENUGREEK 12 PILLS PER DAY, MOTHER'S MILK TEA, I DO COMPRESSIONS. WHAT AM I MISSING? I'VE HEARD THERE ARE SOME MOTHER'S THAT WILL REFUSE TO SUPPLEMENT AND THE LAW OF SUPPLY AND DEMAND WILL EVENTUALLY WORK? I'M NURSING UPWARDS OF 12 X'S PER DAY. HAS ANYONE HEARD OF THIS? ANY ADVICE? ANYTHING WORDS WILL HELP. PLEASE.... PLEASE...

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Not Enough Milk....should I Supplement

I'm so sorry you're having such a rough time of it. Nursing 12x a day sounds great especially since you've really had a challenging time. When you say your LO's not gaining, how much time has passed? Does the ped mean that there's been no gain over the last month? Since birth? How has this been judged?

How long do you nurse for typically?

Usually if diaper output is fine and the baby doesn't seem sluggish, all should be well. But I'm not a doctor.

One thing though - breastfed babies usually do gain faster than formula fed babies during the first 2 to 3 months. It's usually 4-6 months babies that get in trouble at the doctor's for not gaining quickly enough (compared to FFed babies which is not a good way to compare). If you're LO is really not gaining at all, then maybe you should try supplementing? I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me but it might be worth trying. If she's still not gaining, then cut out the formula. Breast is best, after all!

Hi Emama.

Last Friday we had a weight check and she was 9.1. The Tuesday before she was 9.1 so it was only a few days in between the check.

Because I had so many problems, I was pumping and nursing as much as I could. She had been solely on the breast for 2 weeks and I started supplementing this week. I used the finger feed sns system so she didn't get used to the bottle, I now use a nipple shield and do the sns when I supplement.

She nurses non stop. A normal feeding doesn't seem to ever end..... 30 minutes on one side and 30 minutes on the other. 1 hour long! The LC told me that as a rule of thumb - if a baby can take 1 oz they can nurse out 3 oz. if it was there. She told me this because when I was at my class they weigh her prior to and after feeding. She was taking in only 2 oz in 45 minutes and she said it should be more.

Btw: I'm Going In For A Weight Check On Tuesday. I've Been Out Of Town On Holiday. Wish Me Luck.

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

First of all, best of luck to you! I know how nerve-wracking those weigh-ins are. My LO was only 4lbs 4 oz at birth and so every doctor's appointment is a nail-biter.

Sometimes babies don't swallow while they nurse. They basicallly use you as a pacifier for a while. My LO will even continue nursing after she's fallen asleep. It's not really nursing, just sucking with no actual eating. So that might be what's happening when you nurse. Did the LC notice if your baby was swallowing?

Also, I can't remember how much babies eat at 7 weeks but is it possible that 2 oz is all she eats at that point anyway? I know you want to avoid nipple confusion but I wonder if it might be worth feeding her a bottle now and again just to see how many ounces she takes in? My LO had no nipple confusion and has always eaten from both the bottle and breast interchangeably - so I'm always quick to suggest trying a bottle. If you're worried about confusion though, don't listen to me. I don't know if my experience is normal.

And comparing weights only a few days apart is no good because your LO could have been really full during the Tuesday visit and had a few extra ounces in her but hungry during the Friday visit with no extra ounces. So she technically could have gained weight without the scale registering it. Weight is not always exact on those scales anyway. Was it definitely the same scale?

As I said, I'm not a doctor but I do know that a doctor who doesn't understand BFing can really damage your self-confidence. Make sure you have someone who knows what they're doing.

Good luck and happy eating to your LO!

My wee man is 7 weeks old and weighed 11lb13oz (5.37kg) at his last weigh in on Thursday. I'm using a breast pump because he keeps trying to eat my nipples.

At the moment he is demand feeding about 7-10 times in 24 hours and at 2 hour intervals in the afternooons and evenings
    I'm pumping what averages to about 25ml-32ml (approz 1oz) an hour.
    You can tell I'm paranoid because I started recording my volumes and doing the math

Babies differ a lot in their needs and sizes though. Keep up the good work
    Last edited by Erebus; December 1st, 2007 at 04:11 AM. Reason: weeks! not months

let us know after the weight check....
    Some babies just set their own cerve...
    heres a good link that might help from kelly moms.
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/index.html

its good your working with a lc she sounds like she is giving you good advise..
    and 3 oz of formula a day isn't realy that much..
    and it doesn't have to be the end of breastfeeding... if the 3 oz causes her to gain a little and get them off your back for a while....

heres a story from new beginings that might help
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJanFeb98p8.html

Hi, mama...Sounds like you're doing all the right things. Andrea's right--3 oz of formula isn't the end of the world. Since you're using the sns, you could put it in there, and still get the stimulation.

Good luck!

ETA: Just also wanted to add that at 6-7 weeks, lots of babies go through growth spurts when their milk needs increase.

Nursing 12 hrs out of every 24 is difficult work!

Do you have a ring sling? You can nurse your baby while you go for a walk, put in some laundry, or do a bit of housework.

You can bring your baby into the bathtub with you. Babies love to nurse in the bath. If you're alone, wrap baby up in a towel before you get out the shampoo for yourself.

Do you co-sleep? If you can safely sleep with your baby, you can nap right through the night-time feedings.

When you are your baby's food source, your well-being is VERY important.