Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning from a pump?? TOo soon??

Question Weaning from a pump?? TOo soon??

So I had a preemie in the beginning of Nov, so I started pumping 8x per day to establish a milk supply. Well, it turns out I was making about 40-45 oz per day, and the lactation consultant at the hospital told me I could start cutting down my pumping to 6x per day. Well, I'm now pumping 5-6x per day, and expressing about 25-35 oz of milk per day... but that is in ADDITION to breastfeeding, which we've been doing the last week. So now I'm BFing about 70-90 minutes per day, as well as pumping 5-6 times per day.

At what point do I know my baby (who has still not yet reached his due date) is getting enough milk so I can wean more from the pump? I know I'm currently making more milk than he needs, but I'm really scared to wean more because I'm afraid my great milk supply might diminsh too much and then I won't have enough. On the one hand, I like knowing I have an abundance of milk so I don't worry about the baby getting enough... on the other hand, I want to wean off this pump since now he's breastfeeding. Any advice??

Default Re: Weaning from a pump?? TOo soon??

When your baby is getting between 5-6 wet disposable diapers you know your baby is well hydrated. A goal of at least 2-3 bowel movements per day.

That is quite a lot of milk you are making!

How is baby's latch? Hearing audible swallowing noises?

He is definitely peeing and pooping enough... pretty much every diaper is wet AND poopy, so that's like 8 diapers a day or more. His latch is usually pretty good... as long as he's not sleepy, there's audible swallows and everything. He also gained 13 oz just this past week alone, and that was with only 2-3 bottles of expressed breastmilk at night and only breastfeeding during the day... so I know he's getting enough currently. I'm just afraid if I stop pumping my supply will decrease too much and then he won't get enough.

don't be afriad to call your local leader too she can help over the phone...
    are you planning to go back to work??
    pump weaning should be slow you want to avoid clogged ducts!

I won't be heading back to work until August, so I have plenty of time off. I just want to transition from BFing AND pumping to just BFing alone.

do call your local leader there is some info in the breastfeeding answer book she can help you with but its just way to much info to type..
    I would think once the baby reaches its due date that you can relax a little bit and not pump quite so much...
    just watch for signs of clogged ducts and cut out pumpings slowly giving your body time to adjust

How are things going now?