Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: More clogged ducts!

Unhappy More clogged ducts!

I make it through a year with nothing, then wham I get mastitis a month ago, and now my second clogged duct in two weeks. I am feeling miserable again. I just don't want mastitis again. What a bummer.

Default Re: More clogged ducts!

No fever, no lump. Just pain and redness in one area. I read about modifying your diet if you get reoccurring mastitis. Who has done that?

Hi Carpentergirl,

Getting plugs is the pits, isn't it? We know that plugged ducts are not the same as mastitis, so that you have plugs right now and not a breast infection is actually a good thing, since plugged ducts are definitely the lesser of the evils, as it were. Mastits may or may not require a prescription, so if you have plugs without a breast infection, adding antibiotics to the mix probably isn't something you need to worry about right now.

THE WOMANLY ART OF BREASTFEEDING tells us on page 124 to: apply heat; nurse the baby on the affected side frequently, loosen constrictive clothing; especially the bra (if one is being worn ); check for other clothing or accessories that could be putting pressure on your breasts; check the baby's position at the breast, and try changing nursing positions from time to time.

The next section in the book deals with mastitis and says on page 125, "It is important that you begin treating a breast infection immediately. The treatment for a breast infection is the same as for a plugged duct: Apply Heat, Get Plently of Rest, and Nurse Often. If this course of action is begun quickly, you may not need further treatment for a breast infection."

The information above is just a summary on the suggestions, but you can learn more about the differences between mastitis and plugged ducts here:

FAQ on mastitis : http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/mastitis.html and how to treat (and possibly prevent) each.

Another FAQ that has really good info:

What can I do about my repeated cases of mastitis? http://www.llli.org/FAQ/repeatmastitis.html- this FAQ shares information on lecithin, which is a supplement many mothers have found helpful in warding off plugged ducts....

"One researcher suggests that eliminating saturated fats from the diet and taking one tablespoon of lecithin per day can lead to improvement for women with a history of plugged ducts and/or mastitis. "

Another good article is this one:

Mastitis--Plugged Ducts and Breast Infections: http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVMarApr93p19.html

I hope this information is helpful to you, Carpentergirl! Please let us know how it goes!

Warmly,
    Tallis
    Last edited by LLLTallis; November 30th, 2007 at 10:15 PM.

ok thanks, he did miss a feeding last night.

*nods* Some mothers are really touchy in that regard; sometimes sleeping longer on one side can cause them, or changing something really subtle, etc. It sounds like you have figured out right what the issue was for you, which is great!

I hope you can just crawl into bed and have a nursing marathon this weekend. Feel better soon!

Warmly,
    Tallis