Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well, I let him try brown rice cereal

Default Re: Well, I let him try brown rice cereal

I'm in the same boat as you. I was absolutely determined to wait until 6 months but he practically jumps out of my arms trying to get to any kind of food that is nearby. I finally gave him cereal on a spoon and he LOVED it. He opened his mouth super wide and just giggled. I am going to the store today to buy a sweet potato and other fun stuff to try instead of just doing cereal.

It seems to me your baby showed the signs of being ready for more. I did the same thing as you and sometimes wish I hadn't but my little guy is 10 months and eating a varitey of homemade food and still loves nursing. Don't give yourself too much guilt over it. There's years of decision making to go!

I took to much of the offered advice---thanks, mamas.
    We ditched the rice cereal and offered Alasdair a banana (slices). he grabbed and grabbed, sucked, gagged, puked.
    We are offering him stuff (only one thing new each week, if that), but planned items are now avocado, banana and ... well, that's it.

We'll see how it goes. I loved all the info in baby-led solids. That's going to be our approach.
    ... mama to alasdair jonas, fifteen days late and (finally) born all natural on june 24, 2007.

check out my organic baby goods: www.inkpony.etsy.com
    and coming along with using cloth dipes.yay.

Quote Originally Posted by juliana99 View Post
    I took to much of the offered advice
    I meant: took a lot,
    not "took too much"

clarity.
    ... mama to alasdair jonas, fifteen days late and (finally) born all natural on june 24, 2007.

check out my organic baby goods: www.inkpony.etsy.com
    and coming along with using cloth dipes.yay.

I will admit that I gave my LO some cereal to try "early" because of her apparent "readiness" and though she ate it happily once or twice, I decided to wait and didn't try again until recently...She is now almost 7 months! I just didn't want to rush things and besides, EBF is so much easier and convenient! I wanted to savor it while I could! But it is completely up to you! Solids during the first year are more experimental than nutritional especially to breastfed babies! Just have fun! A little bit of cereal can't hurt at this age!