Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well, I let him try brown rice cereal

Default Well, I let him try brown rice cereal

Alasdair turned 5 months only last Saturday.
    Today I bought Beach Nut Whole Grain Brown Rice Cereal and let him try 3/4 tablespoon with breast milk.

I guess, more than anything else, this is a confession.
    Ben (dh) and I really wanted to wait until the boy was 6 months...
    but lately he's been so vocal and grabby and chomping ..
    well, no need to excuse my early offering of food.

Ah, is this bad? I suppose I could always stop now and wait another 23 days, but he loved the cereal soooo much.

What do you think? Honestly.
    Thanks.
    ... mama to alasdair jonas, fifteen days late and (finally) born all natural on june 24, 2007.

check out my organic baby goods: www.inkpony.etsy.com
    and coming along with using cloth dipes.yay.

Default Re: Well, I let him try brown rice cereal

I think its really about what works for you. You have the information about starting solids at 6 months or so. I don't think you would have done it if you thought he wasn't ready.

IMHO, rice is a terrible first food (sorry - you said be honest ). Grains should not be introduced until a year or later. I started DD a little too early just with bananas and other fruit. She got very constipated and I totally backed off solids from 9 - 11 months to heal up her little gut. The more I learn the longer I wish I had waited (does that make sense?)...

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

i think you are fine... dd was the same way.. I managed to hol doff till 5.5 months.. and then we did some fruit in a mesh feeder 1-2 times a week . She turns 6 months today and is getting solids every 2 days or so. She spits up alot too so I am trying to go slow.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

I agree with PP that grains are a poor choice for first foods.

Sweet vegetables, calorie rich foods and yummy fruits are better choices

mashed/pureed: peas, carrots, corn, avacado, banana, apple, pear

Lots of choices. Pick foods according to your family history or food allergy/intolerances. Avoid citrus, onion, garlic and grains (especially wheat).

You've really got to do what you feel is right for your little one. If he tolerated it ok and loves it, I say ok, go slow.

I have one that has tons of food allergies that I didn't start on solids of any kind until after 6 months and my just turned 6 months old yesterday little one has been eating solids for a good month. It's just what works for you. KWIM?

Go slow, watch your little one, arm yourself with information and go forward appropriately. Only you know what works for your baby.

i think you are fine... dd was the same way.. I managed to hol doff till 5.5 months.. and then we did some fruit in a mesh feeder 1-2 times a week . She turns 6 months today and is getting solids every 2 days or so. She spits up alot too so I am trying to go slow.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    IGrains should not be introduced until a year or later.
    thanks for your honest response.
    What's the deal with grains? Why should they be delayed? Why is rice cereal the most popular first introduction to food----
    a cultural misconception about what's best?

thanks.
    ... mama to alasdair jonas, fifteen days late and (finally) born all natural on june 24, 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by juliana99 View Post
    thanks for your honest response.
    What's the deal with grains? Why should they be delayed? Why is rice cereal the most popular first introduction to food----
    a cultural misconception about what's best?

thanks.
    I think the modern reasoning is that rice cereal is best because it is bland, almost textureless and fortified with iron, so it would theoretically make an easy transition from a liquid diet. But that started back when formula-feeding was the standard and babies had to be introduced to solids earlier than they were actually ready for them, due to many factors associated with formula-feeding.

Now that there is more knowledge regarding baby-led intro to solids and especially the completeness of breastmilk, we know that the "attributes" of rice cereal really aren't an advantage for a healthy BF baby. Food at an early age is actually not needed for nutrition at all; it is for exploring. We should be introducing foods that give the babe an opportunity to appreciate the flavors and textures that solids have to offer, instead of trying to make them more like milk in an attempt to sneak them past their lips and tongue-thrust reflex. (I'm not saying you're doing this, I'm just speaking of the old-fashioned approach to introducing solids.)

Why grains should be avoided initially is because, as a species, this was the last food group humans gained access to. If you think about it, we spent the majority of our history as a species (I don't know the exact timeline) as hunter-gatherers. It was not until the advent of modern agriculture that grains were cultivated, so our bodies have not had as much time to evolve and adapt to consuming them. They are very allergenic, difficult to digest and contain antinutrients that can cause serious health problems:

Phytic acid, for example, is an organic acid in which phosphorus is bound. It is mostly found in the bran or outer hull of seeds. Untreated phytic acid can combine with calcium, magnesium, copper, iron and especially zinc in the intestinal tract and block their absorption. Other antinutrients in whole grains include enzyme inhibitors which can inhibit digestion and put stress on the pancreas; irritating tannins; complex sugars which the body cannot break down; and gluten and related hard-to-digest proteins which may cause allergies, digestive disorders and even mental illness. (from www.westonaprice.org)

I am still learning, but IMO, the best first foods are bone broths, meat, egg yolks, and cooked fruits & veggies with lots of butter, olive oil and coconut oil thrown in for healthy fats. I started DD with fruit and have been dealing w/constipation ever since.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

thanks, so much, for all of the info.