Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Black spots in diaper

Default Black spots in diaper

Please forgive my mommy brain. We have moved into the realm of teething and I haven't slept very much in a few nights.

After the big episode of blood in her diapers and the clot that she passed last month I am on super lookout when DD has a poopy diaper. We are still doing more hemo cards at least once a week to make sure she isn't having trace blood in her poop.

So, I changed Sidney's diaper this morning and it had little black flecks in it. Nothing major but they are noticeable without digging around- and yes I do dig around in every poopy diaper I know.

Now I'm not so sure if that has to do with the teething and her sticking everything in her mouth or if that is something normal that happens to breastfed babies or if it's related to the bloody poop and could be really really dark red and I can't tell? Again, mommy brain here and I can't figure it out. I was just wondering if anyone had an idea if this was normal or if they have had this experience with their lo?
    Jackie

"Breastfeeding is an unsentimental metaphor for how love works, in a way. You don't decide how much and how deeply to love--you respond to the beloved, and give with joy exactly as much as they want."
    ~ Marni Jackson"

Default Re: Black spots in diaper

Are you feeding any solids at all yet? Bananas are notorious for leaving little black flecks in poo.

nope no solids yet!
    Jackie

"Breastfeeding is an unsentimental metaphor for how love works, in a way. You don't decide how much and how deeply to love--you respond to the beloved, and give with joy exactly as much as they want."
    ~ Marni Jackson"

Hmmmm....I'd be suspicious!

I believe the black spots can be blood, just very very dark. I'd get it checked out.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

I'd definitely be a little suspicious, but one thing that happened to us--my DS has gotten his two bottom teeth and we caught him chewing on an old remote control that had been turned into a toy. Apparently the plastic was a little soft and he got little bits of black plastic in his mouth. I feel like a bad mommy, but the other remotes and "real toys" aren't as soft so we didn't realize it.

Anyway, just a thought. I hope it's nothing!

Black spots can mean blood that is coming from a bleeding in the upper GI. I would have it checked.

Thanks mamas I have a call in to the pediatrician and for those of you that remember we were going to a family doctor but moving home has some benefits! Sidney is now seeing the same pediatrician that was my pediatrician when I was growing up and she is FANTASTIC. She even just assumed I was bfing and thought everything I was doing was great! She was a single mom and put herself through medical school when she was younger so she is very supportive. Gotta love finding or reconnecting with people like that!
    I'll keep everyone posted on what she says.
    Jackie

~ Marni Jackson"