Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Very upset LO - growth spurt and slow-flow?

Default Very upset LO - growth spurt and slow-flow?

I've been block feeding LO (who will be 4 months in 2 days) for 2 months now (cut out dairy at the same time too). In general he seems happier and less gassy (still yellow liquid poo though).

My real concern today and yesterday is that he seems just so unsatisfied when he feeds and I feel he isn't getting enough milk. He is usually a placid little thing, but just freaks out when feeding now. I know you're always supposed to have milk etc, but he has been just screaming every time he fed, pulling off constantly, seeming unsatisfied with the slow flow and the quantity obtained... I fed him more frequently, but he was unhappy pretty much every time. At night when my breasts are fuller he feeds calmly and seems satisfied.

Are they supposed to have a growth spurt at 4 months? He doesn't seem happy feeding more frequently from the same breast. What should I do? Decrease blocks (4 hours at the moment - could reduce to 3 and still feed twice on each breast). Thanks for any ideas.

Default Re: Very upset LO - growth spurt and slow-flow?

Hi,

If you feel that your oversupply is now under control, and that your baby actually wants more milk, there is nothing wrong with switching to the other breast when he fusses. If it is truly a milk flow issue, switching sides ought satisfy him pretty quickly.

Is he only fussy during feedings, or at other times as well? Is there anything else that has changed? Babies fuss for a lot of reasons--not just hunger.

Hang in there!

Tiana

Thanks Tiana!

He's only really fussing when feeding. I've never seen him so angry. The only thing that's really changed is that he had his first shots on Tuesday, but they didn't seem to affect him (he didn't even cry!!)

The oversupply seems to be under control in terms of the fact that I have breasts which are less full and a baby who is generally less bloated, less gassy, pooing less frequently and therefore more content. As I said, his stool consistency (very liquid, mucousy, but yellow) has not changed. I'm suspecting this is due to mild intolerances to stuff I eat (garlic, broccoli, chili, I've tried to investigate, but it could be anything... since it doesn't appear to be an allergy, I shouldn't worry too much, right?)

Could I just go back to feeding 1 breast per feeding and alternating, making sure that he gets the hindmilk each time (if not, "topping up" with that hindmilk as a snack a little later)?

Thanks again,
    Shilpa

Hi Shilpa,

You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by leosmamma View Post
    As I said, his stool consistency (very liquid, mucousy, but yellow) has not changed. I'm suspecting this is due to mild intolerances to stuff I eat (garlic, broccoli, chili, I've tried to investigate, but it could be anything... since it doesn't appear to be an allergy, I shouldn't worry too much, right?)
    The most common allergens in breastfed babies are milk/dairy products, soy, wheat, corn, eggs, nuts (especially peanuts) and citrus. Contrary to popular belief, vegetables like broccoli, spicy foods, etc, do not typically cause fussiness in breastfed babies. Check out our "allergies" forum for more information.

Could I just go back to feeding 1 breast per feeding and alternating, making sure that he gets the hindmilk each time (if not, "topping up" with that hindmilk as a snack a little later)?
    Yes, you could. That might work for you. Whether it does or it doesn't, let me know, and we can brainstorm some other possible solutions, okay?

Hang in there!

Tiana
    Last edited by LLLTiana; December 1st, 2007 at 10:23 PM. Reason: I apparently cannot spell after 10pm (LOL)

My sister-in-law says that babies are moving targets - you think you've sorted one issue out and another one comes to take its place.

LO isn't fussing at the breast any more (I kept the 4 hour blocks), but seems to have some kind of bug and is unhappy quite a lot of the time We are responding with lots of cuddles...

Shilpa

Help Tiana! (and anyone else!)

Hmmm, LO seemed hungry again, so for the past 2 days I stopped the 4 hour blocks and started alternating at each feed (he feeds approx every 2 hours).

He now seems a lot more satisfied when he's fed (and visibly looks fatter!) but is doing a *lot* of poo. His stools have always been liquid and mucousy, but with the block feeding, he did 1 or 2 a day. Today he is back in newborn mode - pooing after each feed. Is this bad in itself? (The nappy rash might be bad...)
    It's bad for his sleep, since he's woken himself up a couple of times.

Also, Before I offer the "full" breast, I've always offered the "empty" one so that it's really drained of hindmilk. Am I stupidly stimulating both breasts at each feed? Have I jumped too quickly from 4 hour blocks to offering both breasts at each feed?

Shall I go back to blocks? Alternate but not offer the empty breast first?

Thanks for any ideas!

Shilpa

A bm after every feeding is not necessarily bad in and of itself. The rash, and the fact that he is stooling in his sleep (which is unusually after the first few weeks) makes me think that you might be dealing with an allergy. Have you had a chance to look at the allergies forum? There are other moms who have dealt with similar symptoms in their own babies that might be able to share their experiences with you.

Here is a link to some more information on breastfeeding a baby with allergies:

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBallergies.html

HTH. Hang in there!

Tiana

Thanks again Tiana,

I'm relieved to hear that a bm after each feed isn't necessarily bad. LO doesn't have a nappy rash (I was just concerned that one *might* develop with so much stooling). He also doesn't really stool while asleep. Now I know he needs to stool after each feed, I make sure this has happened before he naps. When we stopped block feeding I would sometimes put him down before he had stooled (we rock him until he's drowsy then put him down awake - he generally falls asleep within seconds) and he was stooling and therefore not sleeping.

When I first spotted problems with OS, I read http://www.health-e-learning.com/articles/Lactose.pdf and suspected dairy might be contributing to the problem. I have been dairy-free for over 2 months. I checked out the allergy forum but the ladies there seem to have far more serious symptoms in their LO - blood in stools, rashes, vomiting.
    I will however wait another month or so before I try to reintroduce dairy.

Apart from the frequent stooling (and liquid, mucousy consistency of the stools which some say are within normality, but seem disturbing), LO seems happy, definitely more satisfied with alternating rather than block feeding. I am only offering 1 breast each feed now (not trying to completely empty the empty breast).

Just one more question (maybe I should start another thread?). I need to pump, just a little, to store milk for when I need to work and be out of the house (I generally work from home). When should I do this to avoid OS? After a feed to empty that breast?

Thanks so much!

Shilpa

Hi Shilpa,

It sounds like things are going pretty well for you now! That's great news!

Just one more question (maybe I should start another thread?). I need to pump, just a little, to store milk for when I need to work and be out of the house (I generally work from home). When should I do this to avoid OS? After a feed to empty that breast?
    You may want to start a new thread, to get more responses. Experiences in this area are certainly varied.

Many moms with OS find that hand expression works well for them. Some will even hand express on one side while baby nurses on the other (or simply catch whatever is dripping in a bottle). Some mothers find that any amount of pumping kicks their oversupply into overdrive--perhaps due to the less-than-natural stimulation a pump causes--but can hand express without too much trouble. HTH.

Tiana