Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bottle Question...

Default Bottle Question...

This may seem like a silly question, but I'm a first-time-mom-to-be, so feeding an infant is all new to me! I plan on breastfeeding, but I'm thinking ahead to when I'll need to pump and bottlefeed, when I go back to work, and I'm doing my "bottle research" now. I really like the convenience that the Playtex Disposable Nurser System seems to have, but I would also like to try a nipple that is more like the breast, to avoid nipple confusion (I like the sound of the Second Nature nipples and the First Years Breastflow nipples). Are most bottles and nipples interchangable or do you pretty much need to stick with the same brand for each? Thanks for the help!

Default Re: Bottle Question...

I'm not at all sure if bottles and nipples of different brands are interchangable. I just wanted to say that nipple choice is largely up to baby. My advice is not to stock up on any one brand until you know which one baby will like. Buy one or two of different brands to start with. Also, know that many of us do use the Playtex Nurser bottles with no problems. In fact, my DD clearly prefered those, outright reject several others. Good luck!
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

I use the early years Breastflow and think they're great for when dh feeds DD. She has no problem going back and forth. The design of the nipple really does require suction AND compression. We give her a bottle of EBM once a day or less and have been doing so since she was about 1 month old. Her first emergency bottle was at about 3 weeks, and even then she had no problem.

Yes, don't stock up on too many of one kind. You never know what baby will like! I had a ton of Avent for my first, and she never would take one. I have, however, chosen to get a few of the Breast Flow bottles. They're only available at Babies R Us around here. If you go to a local children's consignment (or a Big Lots/MacFrugal's) store you can sometimes find very nice/used bottles for just a buck or two & you can have an assortment on hand....because other people stocked up & their kid hated whatever they had a million of! Just get clean new nipples, obviously.

Some bottles are interchangable, some are not. I have found your specialized bottles (Playtex, Avent, etc) are NOT interchangable. Your traditional style bottles are interchangable. Also note the interchangable regular bottles will fit on your Medela pumps so that may be an advantage.