Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A lot of questions..

Default Re: A lot of questions..

That is EXACTLY the same thing that happened to me. I could not get my first (who is 13 months) to breast feed so after numerous attempts I gave up and I was determined with my second to do it. She was the same way, attached to me during my whole stay in the hospital. Then things got better but I was extremely sore and was positive I was doing something wrong. She is now 6 weeks old, it does get easier!

Welcome to LLL! And congratulations on your new baby!

It does sound like a latch problem. I had a - for all intents and purposes - non-latching infant so I didn't experience pain. But a pp said that a good latch should not cause pain and that's what I've read as well.

A friend of mine was in tremendous pain for 2-3 weeks after her DD was born. Her baby was latching adequately enough to get the milk she needed but she was licking the nipple ( this is how it was explained to me) and clamping down frequently. After 2 weeks, the pain had lessened and by 3 weeks, she was stronger and was able to latch on perfectly.

Perhaps your situation is similar to hers. I know it hurts a lot. Is there any way you can help yourself get through the pain while the blister heals and your LO gets a little stronger? Maybe deep breathing, relaxation techniques, some soft music...

Don't give up, you can do this and we are all here to help!
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

I was in a lot of pain for about a week after birth also. I think what happened was we had a few "bad latches" immediately after birth that caused them to get raw and blister, and even though we corrected the latch, it just took a while to heal. I did lanolin too, although it didn't seem to help much. Just keep in mind that it STAINS!! No one told me that and I ruined all my shirts. Anyway, also let the nipples have as much air as possible and keep them protected from clothing that can rub up against them (with breast pads, basically). But yes, you definitely need to see a professional to make sure the latch problem is corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy's Mommy View Post
    and congrats on that new baby!

I believe it can take some time for the pain of a blister to go away. Did the blister "pop" or is it still sealed?

What does your nipple look like immediately after a feeding? A few seconds to a minute after?

Some women do experience pain in the beginning, I used lanolin ointment constantly in the beginning and I think that saved me quite a bit!

Have you had an outside person, like a LLL Leader, or LC, or even Sasha check your latch to be sure? Sometimes mom's angle isn't always the greatest to see.

Would your 14 month old at least take one nap in the day for all of you to sleep at the same time and take a nap?
    Some of the blisters have popped, some have just kind of scabbed over. One has resulted in a pretty deep crack.
    Lanolin hasn't seemed to help that much, but I've been using it after feedings, and any other time I get a chance to put it on.
    I spoke with a LLL leader today, and she was super helpful. She offered to come by and check the latch, but also confirmed that hurting can be normal, so I'm going to give it another day and go from there.
    As for the nap, we've been having "going to sleep" issues(that's a whole different story), so when she's finally asleep, I try not to move too much, since I think her sleep is more important than mine

Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    I did lanolin too, although it didn't seem to help much. Just keep in mind that it STAINS!! No one told me that and I ruined all my shirts. Anyway, also let the nipples have as much air as possible and keep them protected from clothing that can rub up against them (with breast pads, basically). But yes, you definitely need to see a professional to make sure the latch problem is corrected.
    Yeah, I'm not getting much help from lanolin either. Thanks for the heads up, I haven't read a thing about it staining. I'm seeing a professional tomorrow if by the afternoon things haven't gotten better. Thank you!!

I can completely identify with the anticipation of the agony of breastfeeding a bub with a bad latch. At the moment my lad is going through growth spurts I think, and is nagging to be fed every 2 hours, but his latch is inexpert enough that he will suckle for 40 minutes on one side and I can still pump off milk afterwards. I can pump myself dry in 15 minutes and if he were suckling I'd end up raw and sore and he wouldn't be getting what he needs.

At the moment I am pumping pretty much exclusively while my nipples heal. I read on some site that if you are pumping while your nipples heal and it's still sore you can use a nipple shield between you and the pump to ease off some of the friction.

I'd recommend anyone seeing an LC before ever trying their baby on a nipple shield because your baby could get bad nursing habits.

I too found the first 2 weeks extremely painful in spite of correct latch and no other problems, hang in there it will get much better.