Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A lot of questions..

Default A lot of questions..

Hi Ladies, this forum was highly recommended to me, so I figure I'll give it a shot.
    I just had my second baby on Monday. I gave up breastfeeding with my first after about a week. I am determined (although quickly becoming very discouraged) to breastfeed this time around.
    Things seemed to start off ok, she latched on right after birth and the first day she seemed to be nursing alright. The second day, she wanted to nurse pretty much constantly through the night, but never seemed to get enough, everytime she'd stop, she'd sleep for a minute or two, and then wake up screaming until she was back on. After hours I was extremely sore, and had a nurse who was pretty negative about breastfeeding in general, but I stuck it out. It resulted in a blister, and me dreading the next time she'd want to feed. I spoke to the LC at the hospital, who suggested the football hold, and re-showed me how to get a correct latch. Last night was the same constant feeding for hours, which again had me extremely sore, but added on to the night before, I can barely handle it. I think I have a pretty high pain tolerance, and I'm in tears at just the thought of her being within a foot of my breast. I don't know what I'm doing wrong that is making it so painful. From my reading, it's her latch that's causing it, but everything looks correct. I know diaper count is important, and she's had about seven wet ones, and about four poopy ones. I'm not so much worried about her getting enough, but I'm not sure I can make it through the pain. I'd be glad to nurse all night if it didn't hurt(or if it was atleast tolerable pain). I guess I'm wondering if it's like this for everyone in the begining, or if there is something I'm doing wrong.

Sasha posted a thread in here for tips, and I read them and very much appreciate it. I'm drinking water like crazy, and while I'd love to sleep while she's sleeping, my fourteen month old has other ideas

Default Re: A lot of questions..

and congrats on that new baby!

I believe it can take some time for the pain of a blister to go away. Did the blister "pop" or is it still sealed?

What does your nipple look like immediately after a feeding? A few seconds to a minute after?

Some women do experience pain in the beginning, I used lanolin ointment constantly in the beginning and I think that saved me quite a bit!

Have you had an outside person, like a LLL Leader, or LC, or even Sasha check your latch to be sure? Sometimes mom's angle isn't always the greatest to see.

Would your 14 month old at least take one nap in the day for all of you to sleep at the same time and take a nap?

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

HI!

I'm so glad you came here, as there are leaders who sometimes come around with professional advice (but they only come online voluntarily when they can so they aren't always here). The one who pretty much saved my life in the beginning was Quakerm0mma, who is NOW known as LLL_Rebecca. She probably wouldn't mind if you private-messaged her with questions, I don't think any leaders mind. But I'd depend more on the forum just for the reason they aren't always here.

BTW, I've been spelling your name wrong, SARAH! I'm sorry I forgot the "H" - you should have corrected me

Anyways,

what state are you in? The states?
    You can look up your local leader at the top of the page where it says find local support.

so baby is around 4 days old.
    its normal for them to want to nurse up to 12 times in 24 hours the more often they nurse the more milk your going to make.
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBearlyweeks.html

did you have an iv during labor, moms with iv's get extra fluids that your body has to get rid of and some times that makes nursing and latching on hard for both baby and mom...
    this saved my life with baby number 4:rps
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/engorgement.html

http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...uteHelper.html

this will help too..
    you can do it!

Congratulations on your new baby!!!! I'm so glad you came here; my son was almost 8 weeks old when I finally--in sheer desperation--found the forums, and they have been a lifesaver. I am not at all sure that I would still be breastfeeding if not for the people here.

I don't know much about blisters, etc., but I would definitely encourage you to hang in there. It's so hard at first, but it gets better. Don't hesitate to ask questions or rant or whatever you need to do--there is always someone here who's been there and will help.

My nipples were in terrible shape the first week, though I was told by several nurses that the latch was good. It's a very sensitive area and takes time to toughen up and heal. I also had a painful let-down. My feedings for the first two weeks sounded like, "OW, ow, ow, ow, easy, easy, okay...." But eventually the little red blisters went away with the help of lanolin after every feeding, and it stopped hurting.

But I was constantly nursing for the first 8 weeks. It's natural for newborns to be constantly attached to mom, though it can get frustrating when you can't get anything done. They all grow out of it in time. It is so worth it to give your baby your own milk and to keep your baby close to you as nature intended. Good luck and congratulations!

The LLL position I believe is that breastfeeding shouldn't be painful. Certainly, you should get an expert to take a look at your latch and make sure everything with you and the baby is good. Often the nurses who give breastfeeding advice and "lactation consultants" in the hospital aren't really credentialled (IBCLC) lactation consultants. If you can find one in your area to come take a look, definitely do so! Or talk to a local LLL person who might be willing to come see you in person or direct you to someone who can.

That said, I and others have found it to be painful in the first few weeks, despite being told by experts that there's nothing wrong. The good news is, it does stop being painful - possibly because you and the baby learn to stop doing whatever it was that was causing the pain, maybe because you "toughen up"? It might be that you have already corrected whatever it was, but because you're still healing from the blister from the initial learning process, you're still experiencing pain? Anyway, this is definitely not medical or expert advice, just my opinion having gone through it. Make sure you get a real expert to check things out (or 2 or 3), but if it's still hurting after that, it's likely to get better after a while, so do hang in there. Good luck!

I did have an iv. I'm gonna look into those links, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Narn View Post
    My nipples were in terrible shape the first week, though I was told by several nurses that the latch was good. It's a very sensitive area and takes time to toughen up and heal. I also had a painful let-down. My feedings for the first two weeks sounded like, "OW, ow, ow, ow, easy, easy, okay...." But eventually the little red blisters went away with the help of lanolin after every feeding, and it stopped hurting.

But I was constantly nursing for the first 8 weeks. It's natural for newborns to be constantly attached to mom, though it can get frustrating when you can't get anything done. They all grow out of it in time. It is so worth it to give your baby your own milk and to keep your baby close to you as nature intended. Good luck and congratulations!

I'm glad to have her attached to me, I just wish it didn't hurt so much
    My feedings seem to go more "ok, ok, easy, easy, holy crap I'm gonna vomit that hurts so much".