Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New in Breastfeeding

Default New in Breastfeeding

Hi all,

I've been breastfeeding for a month already and I want to increase my milk supply. I am concerned that my son is not getting enough milk. He latch properly and I pump at least 5 time a day. But I dont think I have enough milk.

He wakes up 3 times during the night and I have notice that he gets kind of desperate trying to get more milk.

My Daniel was born on 10/23/07.

Thanks,

Default Re: New in Breastfeeding

Is he having enough dirty diapers and gaining well?
    It may be that he is going through a growth spurt which is why he wants to eat so much.
    If you truly think your supply is low there are herbs you can take to try and boost your supply, this works for some and not for others.
    I would say your supply is probably ok tho and it may be a growth spurt, there are many many growth spurts in the beginning.
    Christine
    lots of for the cloth dipes!
    Sara Elizabeth 5.25.04 and Holden Joseph 10.18.07

Wife to Eddie. <3

Thank you for replying.

He has gained 2.7 pounds since he was born. He`was born at 35 weeks with 5.8 pnds and 18 inches, spent only 5 days at NICU. I took to his ped yesterday and she said the it was good that he is now on 7.12 and 20 inches.

What are the herbs that you mentioned?

Thanks,

The best way to tell if your baby is getting enough milk is the diaper out put. Count how many wet and poopy diapers he produces.
    5 - 6+ sopping wet diapers per day and 3 – 4+ dirty diapers per day. To feel what a sufficiently wet diaper is like, pour 3 tablespoons (45 mL) of water into a clean diaper. At a month, your son is still going through many growth spurts and its normal for him to want to feed so much. My own son nursed every two hours round the clock at that point.

Kellymom (not LLL approved but a very good site) has some good stuff for supply issues:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/lo...ly.html#supply

fenugreek are the herbs, there is a lot of info on others experiences with it on the increasing your milk forum. i tried it and i didnt see an increase after a week just a gassier babe!
    good luck to you! and yay to your babes weight gain, you are doing great!
    Christine
    lots of for the cloth dipes!
    Sara Elizabeth 5.25.04 and Holden Joseph 10.18.07

Wife to Eddie. <3