Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping after LO is 1 yrs old...

Talking Pumping after LO is 1 yrs old...

I posted this in the Pumping section, but didn't get any responses, so I thought this may be a better place to post.

I've been exclusively pumping since my son was about 4 days old (it's been over 9 months!) My goal was to continue pumping until my son was 1 years old and I've been counting down the days left that I plan to pump. Lately I have been thinking that I want to continue pumping and giving him BM even after he's one years old -- am I crazy, since I'm an exclusive pumper?

If you continued to pump after your child turned 1 years old, how many times a day do you pump? Right now I pump 3 times a day. I'm assuming it would be less since children usually start drinking cows milk when they are one?

BTW, I couldn't nurse from the start. I tried and tried and tried and tried and tried -- it just didn't work for me, so I exclusively pumped and have only given my son BM (no formula) for 9 months.

Default Re: Pumping after LO is 1 yrs old...

Well done on BF for so long! You don't have to put your child onto cow's milk at all. There is a thread posted in here "1 year check up" and it goes into the nutritional and fat content of BM, so you really do not have to introduce cows milk at all. I work and I express during my lunch hour to give him a bottle of milk (270ml) for the next day, I do BF during the night though. Not sure how many times you would have to pump, but my son who is 15 months old does drink water as well during the day. He is allergic to dairy and therefore cannot have cows milk or formula and we manage.

Hope the advice was helpful.

Keep up the great work!

Congratulations! That's a great achievement.
    I really admire you for having pumped so much for so long. I've pumped for my children way beyond 12 months, but only for when I'm at work, and I found that hard going. You must have some stamina and dedication to keep going.

I can understand you having mixed feelings. I hate pumping and were I in your position I'm sure I'd want to stop! To be honest, were it not for the fact that my sons can't have cows milk and refuse soy milk, I doubt I would have continued to pump beyond one. (I would have continued nursing directly and dropped the pumping, but I appreciate that's not possible for you.)

However, I believe passionately that breastmilk continues to be the best milk for human babies and that it's still good for them beyond one. It's not like something magical happens when they're 366 days old is it and it becomes useless. All the nutritional benefits are still there, and that applies just as much to ebm as directly fed breastmilk.

As the PP said, you don't have to give cows milk at all - you could continue pumping all your babies milk for much longer if you want to. But if you don't want to, you can give yourself a great big pat on the back for a tremendous achievement and need feel no guilt if you wish to stop.
    Maybe you could compromise? Introduce some cows milk but keep pumping some too and make the change over gradually. That would probably be better for you too as I'd imagine if you stop suddenly it could be very uncomfortable and you may get engorged etc.

I've no experience of ep-ing, but I wanted to congratulate you and wish you luck. Your commitment to giving your baby breasmilk is awesome.
    As to what to do next, I say "follow your heart".

Great job for pumping so long. I ep for my dd for 2 years. She was a preemie and could not suck well. After she was 2 was when she had cows milk. It was difficult to do sometimes but so worth it!!! Pumping for so long you develop a love hate relationship with your pump. With my second I haven't pumped at all really. Ep is a lot like twice the work wo the glory. You should be very proud of yourself.
    Last edited by BrooklynMama; November 30th, 2007 at 12:23 PM.

Mama to DD Mariah 04/03 2lbs 8oz BF 2yrs 1 day!
    DS Ryan 07/06 4lbs 15 oz No solids until 18 mo's!
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" Gandhi

I posted to you over on the other thread - I ep'ed for 18 months with baby#3. I think you can pump as long as you want to. And with pumping you can go longer then maybe your baby would want to nurse...? I am going to nurse baby#4 as long as she wants but I may pump alot longer... depending on how long she wants to nurse I guess.
    Mom to four - 2 of each
    DS#1 2/90
    DD#1 12/99
    DS#2 10/01
    DD#2 3/07

we love still

Wow! Great job! It sounds to me like you are not crazy, just one dedicated mom! I pump for my 17 MO while I am at work. I used to pump twice a day (I go home to nurse her at lunch time), and she started drinking less and less as she ate more solid foods. Now I am kind of sporadic about it, depending on how busy I am at work. One idea might be to keep going full-force with the pumping and freeze some extra (if that's possible). Then when you start running out of steam, you could scale back to fewer pumping sessions and still have milk in the freezer to extend the time LO gets milk. FWIW, I don't see any reason to introduce cow milk while he is still able to get the good stuff!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.