Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I wean my 6mo old?

Question How do I wean my 6mo old?

The time has come were I need to wean my DS. I am very sad about this but I have to for health reasons (mine) and the simple fact that I can't live on the same foods that don't effect his acid reflux anymore. I have given him 6 months and we both loved it but like I said the time has come. My goal was always 6 months and I have met that goal tomorrow!

I'm going to mix the formula with BM and slowly decreas the amount of BM as he gets used to it. My question is, how do I slowly drop a nursing session until he's 100% on the bottle? I mean, do I drop one session a day or what? I don't want this to be trimatic for him because along with stopping nursing I will be going back to work. I don't want him to have both happen at the same time but they will be very close together. Depending on how fast I find a job.

Thanks in advanced!

Jake: Born 11/15/07
    6lbs 5oz ~ 19inch and 3/4's long

Default Re: How do I wean my 6mo old?

Haven't done this, my son's 2 1/2 years and nurses to sleep. However, when I weaned myself from pumping I dropped one minute a session. I pumped for 15 minutes 3 times a day. I gradually cut down over two weeks. I would think dropping one feeding a day gradually maybe every couple of days would be the best. You don't want to get engorged and end up with mastitis so if you can avoid abrupt weaning that would be preferrable.

I'm sorry you feel the need to wean but best of luck to you.

i'm sorry you need to wean and please let us know if we can help in anyway.

as for the question, i was under the understanding that you dropped a pump/nurse session every week. So if you nurse 6x a day it would take 6 weeks to wean.

good luck to you
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Well I have Sjogrens Syndrome (www.sjogrens.org) and the drug I have to take to control my immune system from killing itself off is a chemo based drug. soooooooooooooooooooo I can't be on it while I"m PG or BF. I stayed off it for this long but need to get back onto it. So this is why I need to wean now

I was just wanting to know if there was another way to wean or a better way to wean then I had mentioned I would do.

ANY help or suggetions would be greatful!

Thanks!!!

Jake: Born 11/15/07
    6lbs 5oz ~ 19inch and 3/4's long

I don't have any experience with weaning but I wanted to send It is difficult to deal with a chronic disease (my mother has RA so I am a first-hand witness.) I am sure one of the leaders will jump in to give you good advice about weaning soon.

I agree with the drop one feeding session a week if you have the time. If not then I'd try to space it out as best as possible. I think I'd drop the first ones slower with more days in between then the last ones because you probably will feel it more in the begining when your producing more. When your only producing for a couple feedings a day it may not be so hard on your system to drop them faster. KWIM. I know when my little one started to sleep through the night I was sore and very full for a few days following it. But when she was down to a couple feeds a day and stopped I hardly noticed it.

Although it is different for everyone I would try not to drop them too quick (ie one a day) because you might get clogged ducts or worse.

Good luck to you. I think its great that you did 6 months. Your little one is very lucky.
    Kim

Claire 08/27/06 7lbs 11 onces 21 in.
    Addison (Addi) 10/17/08 8lbs 11 ounces 21 in.

I agree with PP, try not to drop nursings to quickly or you can get clogged ducts or an infenction. If you drop one nursing every few days it will probably be slow enough. Also, I think you would probably want to spread out the times you are still nursing, i.e. if the first session you drop is in the afternoon, try dropping a midmorning session next, then maybe switch back to an evening one? That way you won't be super full at any one time of the day.
    Chelsea
    Mommy to:
    Nate 1/17/07 Emma Lynn 7/13/08 @ 31 weeks and Clara 2/26/10
    Cloth diapering convert
    love to and

Do you have a pump you can use if you feel engorged? If not, you can hand express a little to relieve the pressure. You do not have to give it to your LO. You can wean the LO before you actually wean yourself, if you need to.

Wow, sounds tough. I didn't wean till my LO was older, and on food, but I dropped a session per month. So when I started to wean, she was doing about 4 nursing sessions per day, and I cut it down to 3 for a month, then 2 for a month, then did just one for a month. Was quite easy on both of us. It doesn't sound like you will have the luxury of all that time, but I suppose you could do it by the week or so? Good luck to you and I am sorry you have to deal with this now. You did great by sticking with it for 6 months though considering what you are going through. Take care.

Wow, what an awesome mom you are for being that dedicated

I hope you are able to space out the dropped feedings enough so you aren't too uncomfortable. I don't really have anything to add, just to say: I admire what you did for your LO.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language