Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting Out Sweet?

Default Starting Out Sweet?

I've heard 2 theories:

(1) Babies first food should be something sweet (like bananas) because breastmilk is sweet, so it makes a good transition.

(2) Don't start with a sweet food because if you do, baby will never eat vegetables.

So which is true? For those who started with fruits, did your LO refuse veggies?

Default Re: Starting Out Sweet?

I'd say neither. Like you said, breastmilk is sweet so the damage is already done if having a "sweet tooth" will ruin them for veggies! I guess you could split the difference and start with carrots which are both a vegetable and sweet. We did avocado as DS's first food. Didn't even consider if it was sweet or not - I was more interested in giving him a very nutritious first food.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

We did avocado first too, for the same reason as Katie--it's just so good for you. He's tried sweet things and not-sweet things, and likes them all. Tonight he had broccoli and loved it.

I started Haley with fruits, and she has not since had an issue with veggies, although she hasn't had that many veggies yet. Right now food is such a novelty, and because we are doing BLS, she is really having FUN. Because of that, I don't think it really matters what we give her; she's willing to try it all. I agree with Katie, too. Lydia's already used to sweet from the BM, so you're not going to do any additional "damage." Also, if you start with bananas and she likes them, and you find that she isn't so into peas or potatoes or whatever, you can always mix them WITH bananas for a while so she is getting the nutrition. HTH!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Hunter was started with sweet potatoes, and some bananas. But he loves carrots, sweet (well it is still a veggie!) peas, and green beans. Though not the green beans too much. So I think just go with whatever you wanted to start out with.

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

Matilda's first food (besides cereal) was bananas. While she has had sweet stuff mixed in, I'd say her favorites so far are broccoli and squash. I try to give her a good blend - like if she's going to have some yogurt with a peach cut up in it, I'll try to also give her some mashed potato or other vegetable too.

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

None of those actually make sense. Breastfed babies already have a taste of many things through BM and I think they have innate preferences. I gave my son bananas and rice cereal mixed with BM first. Both are sweet but he hates sweet things. He always hated them (I think he doesn't like BM that much either) and he loves salty, spicy stuff. Sometimes I think it is because I had gestational diabetes and didn't have anything with sugar in it during my pregnancy but who knows. I sneak in fruits into his vegetables since he hates fruits and likes veggies. I have a friend who does the exact opposite because her baby won't touch veggies. Go figure

No matter what you put on my DD's tray, she'll always eat the fruit first, veggies second, and then she'll go after whatever else is there. She has never had candy, still, and she probably won't for quite some time. I don't think that theory holds true. Just start off feeding them nutritious food and that is what they get a good palate for. Everyone comments about the food my DD loves. No McDonald's in this girl's belly!
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

Thanks everyone! Bananas it is then!

JMO - but I don't think it makes a rat's difference which you give them first - what really matters is what mm buys for them when they're 3, 4, 5 and so on screaming in the store for the sugary cereals and pop and such... Thats what will dictate what they'll eat Only buy and offer what you want them to eat

have fun
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.