Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What does this mean? HELP!

Default What does this mean? HELP!

Baby is 6 weeks old and I've been trying for the past 2 days to get back to bf after stopping 2 weeks ago. The 1st 4 weeks of bf was not going too well (latch problems) and she was mostly getting bottles (formula + whatever I was able to pump). Ok, I need some input! About 2 hours or so ago, baby starting fussing & rooting while I was holding her (spoiled little stinker, getting held all the time!) and she wasn't due for her next bottle for another hour so there's my chance to put her to the breast. This has been my plan, to try to bf in between bottle feeds; I'm going to fine tune that plan as I go along. So, I put on some beautiful music and we get all comfy & snuggly on my bed then I give her my L breast in the cross cradle hold and she actually latched on pretty well but the thing is, after a few sucks, she started gagging and coughing & letting go of the breast. I try several times & the same reaction. I put her in the football hold and she was ok that way and nursed for maybe 10/15 min (? wasn't watching the clock). She came off on her own but then started rooting again so I figure maybe she didn't get much & she was mostly doing comfort sucking (?). At that point I switch to the R breast, using the cross cradle hold, and again, she starts all this gagging & coughing. After several tries, I put her in football hold and she was ok after that. What could be going on here? WHY is she gagging like this???? I'm scared to try again b/c I don't want her to get turned off from bf if she's having an unpleasant experience.

Default Re: What does this mean? HELP!

Are you pumping? If you have maintained your milk supply it could be the surprise of your letdown. What sort of amount of time passes before baby starts coughing? A few minutes, right away?