Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ready to give up! :(

Default Re: Ready to give up! :(

I am with those who also experienced severe pain when starting nursing. It wasn't due to thrush , but right from the beggining DD had a super strong suck, and ended up kind of 'creasing' my nipples and they were very blistered, cracked and bleeeding. I was in agony when BF, and cried everytime she nursed b/c i was in soo much pain. This was in the hospital, when she was only 2 days old. We ended up with an incedible pro-bF, nurse, and she got use a nipple shileld, helped me with positioning, and every feeding came by to help. I used the nippe shield from thursday till sunday and my nipples had healed. We are now BF without it, and DD is a champ nurser. ..she is 3 weeks old.I would very much consider a nipple shiled if i were you until you can get a perfect latch, and thrush issues are gone. It is better than giving up on breastfeeding totally right? The thing is, your milk supply *may* decrease, so you should make sure to feed every 2-2.5 hours..it is soo worth it if you stick it out. I almsot gave up, and didnt, and now im sooo thankful i didnt..i love nursing my DD now... i also second the lanisoh, and ibuprofen...for every feeding.
    Trust me, when u get over this (and you WILL) you will be grateful you stuck with it.

GL!!!!

I am in the same boat. We have had endless problems from not latching on at all, to a hard suck to clicking the back of her tongue (double ouch!) to the latest, which is popping her top lip. I have thought about quitting for the passed few days, but I keep telling myself to hang in there because I hear it'll get better.

I say the same to you - hang in there, at least for one more week. I know the soreness is a HUGE factor in wanting to quit. One night I couldn't even have a sheet over my left breast it hurt so bad, but it is all healed up.

A few things that helped me:

If you have blisters or cracked nipples, etc - put a little neosporin on your nipple. It'll seep into your skin quickly and be gone by the time you nurse again. Or use neorporin LT for lips - that is made to be ingested.

If you are having latching problems, use the Medela nipple shield - that thing is a lifesaver. I used it for 3 straight days at every feeding - she was latching on like a pro. Then I had to ween her off of it - was not that difficult. You may need to dribble EBM or formula on the shield to get her to take it at first - can be kind of messy, but she'll take it if you keep tantalizing her.

Keep pumping so your supply stays up. I know that can hurt, too, but at least you'll have something other than formula to feed her.

Good luck!! I know how hard it is and how defeated you can feel.

Man can i relate! I told dh before i started not to let me quit - i wanted to nurse no matter what. That man is a saint for keeping his word..lol. Everytime i wanted to quit he would remind me of what i made him promise - and he would say "Just two more days, you can do it." And then two more days i would keep going. One day at a time - and my LLL leader, Molly, was a GOD SEND. She gave me hands on advice, literally..lol, and gave me the greatest thing - hope. She told me it would get better - it was only 1 year of my life, and that it would be worth it for dd.

So I kept going. I highly suggest you get someone in your corner who will keep you going and remind you why you wanted to do this in the first place - and keep you to it. Also, get a LLL leader in your area to help you - sometimes the smallest thing makes SUCH a huge difference in the way things work.

Hi,
    Just a note, if the latch is not feeling good, take the wee one off! To do this you put your finger by the corner of the mouth and push in the breast tissue. The suction is lost and the breast released. Then, tease the upper lip and when the wee one opens, push the breast/nipple in. The more tissue the little one has in their mouth the better it will feel for you. My daughter on occation would nipple munch and it made me mental. Once the midwife showed me how to unlatch her and relatch properly I was sooooooo happy and my nipple aches went away!
    Keep on trying!

Oh, hang in there!! Our latch issues are still being worked out, but it gets better all the time. As to the thrush issue, we battled it, too, and these things might be of help to you: I swabbed my nipples with 1 tbsp of white vinegar in a half cup of water each time DD nursed, and once dry applied an antifungal cream. I know this is obvious, but be absolutely sure to let your nipples dry completely before covering up again. And change your pads EVERY TIME you nurse until the thrush clears up.

At the hospital, my wonderful, wonderful nurse gave me these latex-type wound dressings that I'd keep in the fridge and wear in my bra. Oh, they were a godsend!

Good luck, honey.

The nursing shield saved me as well. I was resistant to using one because I had read that it might decrease your milk supply, etc. However, it is the only thing that has made BF at all tolerable for me. Otherwise the pain is just intense and the thought of feeding him (again!) would just make me want to curl into a ball and cry.

The advice I received was to make sure that you are counting diapers and that you don't see a decrease in wet diapers. You can also rent a scale to make sure that your baby is still gaining weight.

Hope that helps. I am also at my wits end after 9 weeks of battling for every little bit of progress!

Zoe's Mom-- How are things going?? Any improvements??

-linda

I'm sorry your going through this but, I went through the same problem with my son when he was first born. I felt like little red ants were biting the skin off my nipples. I would let the water from the shower run on my breast alot and as soon as I got out the shower or bath while my nipples were still wet I would apply pure lanolin to them and that helped me so much.
    I hope things get better for you soon. GOOD LUCK.

I would 3rd the nipple shield. I have (or had) inverted nipples and thought it would be quite difficult to bf. I used a nipple shield for nearly 2 months. Fortunately, without a slow in milk production. I tried everything for those first few weeks, but that was the only way to get my dd to latch. We successfully weaned off of it when she was 2 months old. Now I may just have a flexible dd, but it's worth a try. We all end up doing what works best for us, controversial or not.

Zoe's mom, Meagan is 5 weeks old and week 2 was the only week I didn't have pain. I have a yeast infection in my breasts. Don't use lanolin products because it is a food for yeast, according to my LC. Meagan has a diaper rash from the yeast which we have a prescription for, but desitin, a & d and dr smith's all have lanolin in them. Balmex is what I am using for the part of the diaper rash that is not from yeast. My LC gave me a paper about other things to do for yeast infection. Some highlights

-Wash hands before and after breastfeeding & going to the bathroom and after changing diaper

-Use towels and bras only once & limits nursing pad use

-Wash sheets and laundry on hottest setting possible

-Boil pacifiers, bottle nipples (if pumping), and pumping flanges each day for 5 minutes

-Eat yogurt (soy has live cultures too), decrease refined sugars and increase fresh garlic

-Expose your breast to indirect sunlight or a 60-100 watt bulb held 8 inches away for 10-15 minutes after feeding (haven't quite figured this one out)

baby crying; later