Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Typical 1 year old diet?

Default Re: Typical 1 year old diet?

Does coconut oil taste like . . . well coconut? I do not like coconut flavored things so I have never purchased any. But, then I thought that it might not necessarily taste like coconuts.

Thanks
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey's Mom View Post
    Does coconut oil taste like . . . well coconut? I do not like coconut flavored things so I have never purchased any. But, then I thought that it might not necessarily taste like coconuts.

Thanks
    The extra virgin does taste and smell like coconut. But the regular coconut oil is more refined and has less of a taste.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Thanks for the support. I really liked my ped too, until the 12 month visit. He is low on the scales when he used to be in the low-middle. He used to be off the charts for height, and is now dipping a bit. But as I said, I think they measure wrong, cause his pants that used to be too long are now too short. So he MUST be growing

Another thing she said was that babies are supposed to have 2-3 servings of dairy and that breastmilk is included in that category!!! So she thinks hes getting too much "dairy". Whatever. I think I will fire her, but the alternatives are no better.

I do realize that he is now old enough to start offering more foods. I think I needed the kick in the butt to start looking into his diet and adding cottage cheese, oils, fats, etc.

Lyn
    Lyn

Lyn - I think you're doing great! It was a bit of a hard transition for me to start getting more consistent about offering my DS food and offering more often. But watching him (occasionally) eat astonishing amounts and then STILL want to nurse set my mind at ease. Some times when we offer food DS isn't much interested eating, but I don't worry and offer again later. I've found it helps to have a good supply of food and snacks in the house that I can get on the table quickly, as well as a bag of snacks that lives in the diaper bag.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    I wish he would eat more that a few tablespoons a day.
    I'm with you mama. It's like DD has a quota of what she is willing to eat each day. So if I try to give her breakfast and lunch, she won't eat at dinner time. And since I LOVE dinner, I let that be her big meal, so I can eat too. I figure the person's opinion I'm going to listen to regarding how much DD should be eating, is my DD herself. She knows what she's ready for better than anyone, IMO.

Some websites with lots of info about the nutritional content of various foods:

http://www.nutritiondata.com/

http://whfoods.org/foodstoc.php
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey's Mom View Post

Thanks
    Extra virgin coconut oil smells and tastes like coconut only if you use it raw. When you cook with it the taste goes away.

I just wanted to remind you, too, that the AAP recommends that breastmilk be the *primary* source of nutrition for the first 12 months...that means it will take some time to transition to a point where its not.

As for the getting too much dairy, well, I'm not buying into that. Breastmilk still has more vitamins than any single food, and certainly more than cow's milk.

Haylee is still well below the charts (hasn't gained any on the "lines" that seem to mean something). I can't get her to drink much more milk than she is--but now I feel a lot better knowing that at least 1/2 of the milk she is drinking is perfectly suited for human babies. And she is only eating good fats, free range meats, and whole foods. I can't do much more, and she is developing way faster than most of her peers, so I have to know that her brain is getting nourished. I think we put a little too much emphasis on size, and I agree with Lynn...there has to be some small ones to make the charts what they are.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

My boy just turned 1 a couple of weeks ago. Some days he eats great with solids, somedays not.
    I feed him 3 solid meals a day and breastfeed in the AM when he gets up, before his naps and at bedtime. (and usually one around 3am too)
    My Ped said that BM was perfectly fine for snacks. He's doing great too - 90th percentile. I personally think when we wean he will stop gaining the way he has been.
    Also, this may sound dumb, but I never really considered breastmilk to be "dairy". As the PP stated, its got much more vitamins than cow's milk. It's the best thing you can give your child at any age as far as I'm concerned.

Keep doing what you're doing. Sounds like you're doing great to me.

I totally agree about the breastmilk being dairy comment. For that alone, I feel like firing her. Its just so ignorant.

I think her concern is that he is slowly dropping on the charts, falling off of his curve. But he is so bright and active.

I have noticed since we started food snacks he is happier during the day. Less cranky and not as many meltdowns.
    Lyn