Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Typical 1 year old diet?

Default Re: Typical 1 year old diet?

Quote Originally Posted by I've a Grey Eyed Baby View Post
    If you don't mind me asking....What time does your LO wake up and go to bed?
    Does he eat breakfast at home or the nursery??
    DS goes to sleep somewhere between 8:00 to 8:30 pm

Nurses once around 3 am

DS usually wakes up between 7:00 and 7:30 am

I have breakfast with him at home pretty much as soon as he gets up. I've got a bunch of things that I can get on the table quickly: cold cereal with soy milk (or mommy milk if I've got some extra), mini waffles with spread and sometimes jam, pancakes (reheat in the toaster oven pancakes that I've made during the weekend) and I try to also have fruit or applesauce.

I try to leave the house no later than 8 am (but some days do this better than others).

Preschool does snack, lunch (we provide the food) & snack.

ETA: On the weekends we do breakfasts that take more time to cook - oatmeal, make pancakes, etc.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by pigpen777 View Post
    we do 3 meals a day and various snacks. fruit is a huge part of his diet, he just loves it! and, it's so easy for snacks, we also offer cheese, which he likes quite a bit. i have never tried a bean and cheese quesadilla, but that sounds like a great idea. i am trying to do fruits seasonally so he has new stuff to try, next on my list is the pomegranate, which i have no idea how to even eat oh, and hummus is great, too!
    I think pomegranate will be a bit challenging. Its a ball of seeds: like a membrane of juice around a seed. I don't even have the patience to eat them!

I will def start adding coconut oil to D's oatmeal in the morning to add some healthy fats. Other than that, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. I was under the impression that BM is a good fat source

Re: beans......I have to use them sparingly, or D wakes us both up with his farting.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    She thinks it will fatten him up
    I forgot to ask about this earlier ... is your doc actually worried about Daniel's weight / size??

The growth charts make me go like this a lot!

By definition someone's LO is going to be in the low percentages so I can't figure out why everyone gets all worked up if you've got a LO under 5% or whatever.
    Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by lsksam View Post
    I forgot to ask about this earlier ... is your doc actually worried about Daniel's weight / size??

The growth charts make me go like this a lot!

By definition someone's LO is going to be in the low percentages so I can't figure out why everyone gets all worked up if you've got a LO under 5% or whatever.

Hes starting to drop down in the scales. Hes not losing weight, but dropping off his curve. I'm not personally concerned because I can tell that hes growing out of his clothes, so I'm confident they are measuring his length incorrectly.

But it did make me look at his diet and see ways I could tweak it.

Not to mention, DH and I are both tall and thin. Why would our son be any different?

Lyn
    Lyn

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    Not to mention, DH and I are both tall and thin. Why would our son be any different?

As our pedi likes to say about our small DS - it's not like either of his parents are particularly large people.

I need to find the source - but from what I remember lots of healthy fat is important for toddler growth. That's why they say that toddlers should have whole milk & products made out of whole milk (like yogurt or whatever) and NOT low-fat items.

Yes - breastmilk is a great source of fat (and so many other great things). But it doesn't hurt to add in fats from other sources as well.

ETA: With DS food allergies I obsess quite alot about whether or not he's getting good nutrition ....
    Last edited by lsksam; November 29th, 2007 at 04:41 PM.
    Lynn

I need to find the source - but from what I remember lots of healthy fat is important for toddler growth. That's why they say that toddlers should have whole milk & products made out of whole milk (like yogurt or whatever) and NOT low-fat items.

Yes - breastmilk is a great source of fat (and so many other great things). But it doesn't hurt to add in fats from other sources as well.

ETA: With DS food allergies I obsess quite alot about whether or not he's getting good nutrition ....
    I feel really bad that I let the fats thing slide. I mean, he has avocado every 2-3 days, but we used to be more serious about making sure he had it. Now its not as routine.

I will buy some whole fat cottage cheese at the store. He loves that. The coconut oil arrived today, so thats good.

How about meats? Are they fairly high in fat? He has chicken maybe every 3 days?

Lyn
    Lyn

Fish has the best fats (wild alaskan salmon being the safest fish to consume due to pollutants). Then comes grass-fed beef and egg yolks (particularly the kinds with Omega-3). Chicken is pretty lean so it is a good source of protein but not fat. Nuts have great fats but they are highly allergenic so little kids better not have them. I add into all of my son's veggies, pasta, etc. some extra virgin coconut oil which is a great fat too.

I noticed that the Super Baby Food book suggests grinding up seeds/nuts and using them in porridges. That may help add fats.

Maybe sunflower seeds, walnuts, etc. I'm not sure which ones are lowest possible allergens.

I use wheat germ and ground seeds (using mortar and pestle) to dredge balls of soft fruits and veggies in for finger foods.

DD was at 6% for weight at her 12 month checkup. The doctor did not seem concerned at all. When I asked if there was something different we should be doing she said no. There has to be someone at the bottom of the scale and that DD looked healthy so just keep on doing what we were. I really like my new ped.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Hey Lyn! Just to boost your confidence that breastmilk is ok to use for snacks...our ped actually wanted Haylee to nurse/drink more milk. So it sounds like its a pediatrician preference.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes