Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: my baby loves the bottle and refuses to breastfeed

Unhappy my baby loves the bottle and refuses to breastfeed

I have a 2 month old that refuses to breastfeed anymore. When she was born she had severe jaundice,she was put under ultra violet lights for a few weeks and I was told my dr's I must supplement w/ formula to bring her levels down. Now all she wants is the bottle I've tried & tried to get her back on the breast but she screams & pushes me away.It's very important to me to continue breastfeeding my daughter. What can I do to get her back to breastfeeding and off of the bottle? Please help, I feel like I've tried everything.

Default Re: my baby loves the bottle and refuses to breastfeed

have you tried other ways to feed her besides the bottle.. like with a cup? it takes longer but you might be able to coach her back to the breast if the bottle went away.

heres a good link
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/back.html

Good idea about the sippy cup. also if you pump right now give it to her in a siuppy cup. Don't use formula anymore unless you HAVE to. Breast is best. I hope this works for you.

And BTW. I've been doing lots of research for a doula certification, and as far as I have read if your baby is jaundice breastmilk brings down the billieruban levels faster than formula. my son had jaundice and we had to take home a billy blanket and our d told us to BF'd every 2 hrs it would help with the levels

Hi there!

It sounds like you're having quite a struggle. You say you are bottle feeding your daughter. Are you using pumped milk or formula?

It's definitely not too late to get her back to the breast. It will take some work and patience on your part, but it can be done! andrea_ohio posted a good link for you. I also suggest you call a LLL leader in your area to guide you through the process!

Good luck!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Rowansmom:
    Hi! Nice meeting you...
    Now I'm confuse, because my baby (2 weeks old) also has billieruban levels high and also was under ultra violet lights for 3 days and 2 pediatricans here in Puerto Rico, were I live, had told me, the oposite, that giving breast milk takes longer for the levels to go down...

Also, almost 8 years ago, with my first daughter, who also had the same, the doctor told me to give her formula for 48 hrs (meanwhile I pumped each time she drank from the bottle), and this was he's method...

Aural--you are correct. Jaundice tends to stick around a little longer in BF babies. As long as the levels aren't too high, it's not a big deal, and some evidence suggests it may even be somewhat beneficial to baby.

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."

Hey Jen, why would that be beneficial?

Quote Originally Posted by LLL LactoJen
    Jaundice tends to stick around a little longer in BF babies.
    wow I didn't know that. i woonder why he said what he said to me. he said BF as much as possible. interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Mami_Kathy
    Hey Jen, why would that be beneficial?
    The Breastfeeding Answer Book (97 ed., page 225) says:

Because breastfed babies tend to have higher bilirubin levels and a greater incidence of normal newborn jaundice, some experts have suggested that research be done to determine if bilirubin levels associated with natural feeding may be beneficial to newborns due to bilirubin's properties as an antioxidant in the newborn infant (Gartner 1994c). Preliminary research indicates that higher bilirubin levels may be associated with a decreased incidence of some diseases in term and preterm babies (Hegyi 1994; van Zoeren-Grobben 1994; Benaron and Bowen 1991).

Jen

Thanks Jen!