Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frequent watery stools and diaper rash

Default Frequent watery stools and diaper rash

My son who is 4 weeks has a watery stools (yellow, grainy and watery) all the time. I try to change his diapers but can't seem to catch up, since he is always going. Now he has terrible diaper rash.

Are the watery stools common in BF babies? Is there anything I can eat to make his stools more solid, or not eat to make them solid? He is gaining weight and sleeping well.

Any good tips for diaper rash would also be helpful. Since he goes all the time it is hard to keep him clean if he is not wearing his diaper. Thanks....

Default Re: Frequent watery stools and diaper rash

if i remember right at that age babies have many diapers with stool. i think my son had a bm everytime i fed him i had to change him almost everytime i fed him. i'm not sure if there is everything you can eat or not. you say he is acting good, thats good news that everything is probably ok. for diaper rash i use calendula cream, you can find it a whole foods market. hth

I dealt with this with both of my kids...for the first couple of months I never changed a diaper that didn't have poop in it! (And I changed them all the time it seemed) They also had diaper rash that would come and go, but mostly come. Mine seemed to do better if I didn't use wipes. I would use high-quality paper towel with just water to clean them. Then after I wiped them I would use a cloth diaper or burp cloth to dry their bottoms off before putting on any rash cream. The non-white rash creams worked best for us... the ones that are more petroleum jelly based (like A&D).
    Good luck!
    Erin, Mommy to Alex & Derek

Working Breasts: Please do not pet

We were battling this last night - and she's 4 months old.

I was wiping her with a soft wash cloth and water, then drying, then putting lanolin on her bottom. It has really done wonders!

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

Yellow, un-solid bowel motions for breastfed babies is exactly what you are after! ..if you were getting solid stools it would probably be because of constipation. The fact that he has lots of them just means your baby is getting enough to eat.

My lad got nappy rash the first time I used Johnsons Baby Skincare Wipes (in the neonatal ward at the hospital). I knew that I shouldn't be using them but sleep deprivation and.. well it was the HOSPITAL I thought they might know what products to use O_o.. any way.. since then I have been cleaning DS's behind with flannel face cloths soaked in warm water.

At each change I use a barrier cream which I get from my local pharmacy. It's basically a zinc oxide cream (like calamine) so you can see where you have put it on. I cover the entire nappy area especially between the buttocks and in folds of skin by the crotch. If your baby doesn't have super sensitive skin like mine you may get away with using an oily paraffin based barrier like Chemivita or Bepanthen which are products fortified with vitamins and stuff. Personally I recommend that if you have a baby with sensitive skin, use products with as few ingredients as possible because it only takes a sensitivity to one of those ingredients to cause problems.

While putting creams on can be helpful, allowing baby to rest nappy free on a cotton blanket is going to really make a difference. Its just hard when they are constantly wet! Allow a time every day when baby can be nakey.

I noticed you live in Texas, I'm pretty sure you can get Boudreaux's Butt Paste. Sounds awful, but it really works! It's what we used when DS got really bad. We used Desitin Creamy when in between, because it was softer. Congratulations on your new arrival! It'll get better.

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    While putting creams on can be helpful, allowing baby to rest nappy free on a cotton blanket is going to really make a difference. Its just hard when they are constantly wet! Allow a time every day when baby can be nakey.
    nakey baby time is great too!

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

Yeah... my wee guy seems to think that it's a great time to do a fountain impression so for that reason fresh air time is normally at or around bath time (or in our case shower time).

Smile Re: Frequent watery stools and diaper rash

hi,

just to add another dimension to the other suggestions - how about going nappy free for more than just once a day?

if you have old towels or terries or prefolds, you could just hold these loosely around your baby's bottom whilst you are feeding/cuddling. then, the poo is not in contact with the nappy much or at all. if there is a ridiculous amount of poop coming out, you could even consider a soft plastic container under him? this idea possibly depends on it being warm in your house though it may sound but i found it was a great way to keep on top of sore bums with my last two babies.