Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When do we introduce solids?

Default When do we introduce solids?

This may be a very elementary question, but...

DS is 11 weeks old and BF exclusively. I have several questions:

1. When do we start solids?
    2. When we do start him on solids, what do we feed him?
    3. How exactly will it work - will he eat a solid and BF at each meal or alternate (solids at one meal, BF at another), or something totally different that I don't even know about?!

Thanks so much.

Default Re: When do we introduce solids?

See "When should my baby start solids" http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/solids.html

This is a LLL article.

Our dd is 8.5 months old and we are JUST starting solids - like 1 teaspoon of crushed avacado two times a day.

We had the dr saying to start at 4 months, friends/relatives saying "When are you giving that baby food?" (what do you think bm is! lol) - but thankfully we had these LLL resources and made our own decision.

As far as how to give it - they reccomend that you bf and then give a little solids - but always bf first.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/firstfoods.html

this is a good link also.. follow all the pages out..

If you delay untill baby is older you can start with table foods and skip all the jars of mashed up junk, and just mash what ever you are eating with a fork.When you delay you can start with meats that are high in iron and skip the rice cereal its not good for little tummies. Most of the information that doctors use to recomend solids comes from the baby food companies.

http://www.cspinet.org/reports/cheat1.html

This is just a lil bit of my opinion when i had my son u started feeding at 4 months and he wasnt interested now they have changed that but my dd who is not even 4mnths yet loves stewed fruit mixed with baby cereal which is great for babies for it has extra iron in it and helps put on weight which is y my health nurse suggested i try adding to the apples she loves soo much. So many people will tell u im wrong giving my dd solids so soon but u know when ur baby is ready she still bf the same amount and has 2 meals a day up to 3tblspn which i slowly increased over a few weeks. S he has not once spat it out when i feed her has never gagged on her food get no tummy pains and IS sleeping alot beter so what im really saying every baby is different so listen to every1 advice then do what eva makes ur baby happy and content.

A book that was recommended to me by an LLL mom (and I LOVE it!):
    Child of Mine by Ellyn Satter. A great how-to guide that also goes into the philosophy of how and when to feed solids to babies and why it is so important to feed when they're ready (not when a doctor or baby book or well-meaning friends and family say they're ready). I have found it invaluable and inspiring.

We waited until after 6 months just to introduce cereal and that was SLOW. She didn't get to two meals a day (and those were small) until past 8 months. Now she's almost a year and eating solids like a champ...and still breastfeeding. Slow and steady (at the child's pace) is certainly the best philosophy in my opinion.

Hi Ladies!

Here is a great link (not LLL) about the differences in caloric values of common baby foods, BM and formula. Note that these amount are per ounce, so it may look like a food is giving more calories than BM but a baby would have to eat many ounces to make up the stagger.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...dcalories.html

For my dd we didn't introduce solids until she showed an intrest in eating them. She was about 4 months old. Now she is almost 9 months old and is as healthy as she can be. You'll know when your baby is ready for solids.

We started DS1 at 4 mo and he developed horrible eczema. We waited until 6 mo with DS2 and he's doing fine.

Of course I'm introducing things reeeaaallllly slow just in case. So far he eats cereal, green squash, yellow squash, pears and cheerios.

Follow your baby's lead...they seem to know when they're ready! DS2 started to chomp his mouth open and shut when we would eat and tried to grab things off of my plate. I took this as a sign and started him on cereal. Then every 2-3 weeks I made him something new. He only has a couple of tablespoons twice each day.

Keep in mind that for the first year they should just be experimenting with taste and texture...not getting a majority of their calories from solids.

My daughter is almost 4 months- in the last few weeks, she has shown a real interest in food. So, I took the plunge, and got some rice cereal, some fruits and some veggies. Started out with just the cereal, and only at night, after a full day of nursing. She really loves it!! Today, she ate some sweet potatoes, and just loved them. She only will eat a few small spoonfulls, but it seems to satisfy her curious nature!!! With my son, I did the same, and it all worked out okay.