Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: First food and possible allergy

Default First food and possible allergy

My ds is 5.5 mos and my dh has been itching to start solids. When ds started sitting with support and grabbing food @ 4mos I told dh I was okay with him giving a little cereal 1 or 2 times a week. This week dh bought some baby food and started giving ds squash (the dr okayed this @ 4mos but I wanted to wait a little longer). Ds is fed at suppertime. Then during the night he will cry up a storm. I have tried changing, bf, rocking, singing and bouncing. Nothing seems to help and it started the day we gave him squash. Could he be allergic to it? I think I will try him on the sweet potatoes tonight and see if it goes better. Should I go back to just cereal for a little while? He and dh really enjoy feeding time and I don't want to cut it out.

Default Re: First food and possible allergy

It's possible it's allergy related, but it could also just be disagreeing with his digestive system at this stage. I would stop offering the squash for now and go back to what you know he was able to tolerate. That way you'll be better able to tell if the night troubles have been the result of the squash. Also, can you dh feed him earlier in the day? (I'm guessing it's a work schedule thing?) Feeding new solids is generally best done in the a.m. so as to not interfere with nighttime sleep if they prove troublesome.

Good luck!

I agree with the PP about offering earlier in the day...until recently my LO (10 mos) didn't get anything after 3PM because he would get horrible gas pains at night if we fed him solids after that point. Every once in a while I'd test it out to see if he was over it, about a couple of weeks ago he did fine and since then he has been able to eat dinner with us at about 6 or 7 PM.

This article might help you determine if it's an allergy http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug98p100.html#table. There's a chart at the bottom that explains allergy symptoms. Of course I'd mention it to your Ped too.
    Last edited by Stacia; November 29th, 2007 at 10:00 AM.
    Mama to Evan Born February 1st 2007 Breastfeeding for a year...thinking of weaning
    Wife to my Best Friend KR

Thanks for the link. My ds has only developed the symptom of excessive fussiness but hasn't been eating squash long enough to know about some of the others. I think it may just be disagreeing with him like pp said. I thought squash would be okay because I eat it about 2 or 3 times a month.

Will feeding him earlier be better on him? If not, I would rather go this route and us feed him instead of mil. I already feel like I miss out on so much. I know dh feeds him but I get to be there and see it.

At this age your LO doesn't "need" solids, it's basically for exploration, so once you start you don't have to feed every day at a certain time, you can do it a few times a week & once a day or whatever...so it could be on your days off. I didn't start feeding Evan regularly till about 7 or 8 mos and only recently did he really start enjoying it and gobbling it all up. I'd give the morning solids a try and maybe even try a fruit instead (some veggies cause gas).
    Mama to Evan Born February 1st 2007 Breastfeeding for a year...thinking of weaning
    Wife to my Best Friend KR

Last night ds only got bm after I got home (about 5pm) and he did much better. I think mil gave him squash around lunch per dh's instructions. I told dh I am only letting him and lo play with solids and that lo doesn't need them. I don't know if mil will feed ds today or not.