Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tips for a Newbie

Default Tips for a Newbie

I have a friend who just had her second baby, and she is really trying hard to succeed at breastfeeding. She did not breastfeed her first. I've been trying to help her to the best of my ability, and I told her about the forum but it's safe to assume she is too busy to get on the computer right now!

I started this thread to ask for your newbie tips. Any "breastfeeding a newborn" advice that you think is really important, any cheers to keep her going, etc. I will forward the thread to her through email so she can read it when she gets the chance. What was the most valuable advice, info or mantra you had when you first started nursing?

Default Re: Tips for a Newbie

First, of course, Congratulations! -- both on the baby and the decision to breastfeed.

The best tips I can offer are, REST whenever you can, DRINK WATER even when you're not thirsty and definitely every time you wake up at night (but you will probably be parched most of the time at first!), EAT frequently (and ideally get someone else to get the food for you so you can rest!), and ASK FOR HELP (with breastfeeding and everything else) whenever it occurs to you!

Best wishes and

*Have trust in your own (her own) body to produce all that the baby needs!
    *Nap when baby naps as often as possible (I know it's not easy with another child running around - but doable depending on the age of the older child).
    *Don't listen to those who say your milk isn't enough and say you have to feed formula.
    *Nurse, nurse, nurse! Nursing can help calm a baby when nothing else does

Those are just off the top of my head, I may think of more later

Congrats on the new arrival, and congrats on the wonderful choice to breastfeed!
    Last edited by Jazzy's Mommy; November 29th, 2007 at 10:26 AM. Reason: read wrong

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

Thanks, girls! Post post post!

Have your local LLL leader on speed dial!
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

* Be prepared for growth spurts, don't let frequent nursing scare you (her) into thinking there isn't enough milk
    * Have a nursing station set up
    * Lanolin is a WONDERFUL thing. It can be used for more then just nipple ointment!
    * Co-Sleep if it's an option. I have to sleep seperately from DH just to do this!

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

Learn to nurse laying down.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09