Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Any Exclusive Pumpers continue after baby 1 yr?

Red face Any Exclusive Pumpers continue after baby 1 yr?

I've been exclusively pumping since my son was about 4 days old (it's been over 9 months!) My goal was to continue pumping until my son was 1 years old and I've been counting down the days left that I plan to pump. Lately I have been thinking that I want to continue pumping and giving him BM even after he's one years old -- am I crazy, since I'm an exclusive pumper?

If you continued to pump after your child turned 1 years old, how many times a day do you pump? Right now I pump 3 times a day. I'm assuming it would be less since children usually start drinking whole milk when they are one?

Default Re: Any Exclusive Pumpers continue after baby 1 yr?

Hi,

I don't have an answer for your question but I could really use your help. I have a one month old and am contemplating exclusively pumping. My decision in this direction is associated with the pain I have been feeling and the feeling of an utter lack of control. I feel like breast milk is important and pumping isn't painful for me. However, I feel like everything I read discourages the bottle. I could really use some support from someone who has exclusively pumped. If you feel comfortable could you share your experience with me? I would appreciate any support/advice you can give.

As for your question, I would continue giving breastmilk as long as you feel comfortable with it. I don't think it's silly at all.

Thanks so much!

Default Re: Any Exclusive Pumpers continue after baby 1 yr?

I EP’ed for 18 months with baby #3
    I think I was probably pumping 3 – 4 times a day, I don’t exactly remember, its written in my pumping journal at home. My pumping at work situation at that time was less then ideal, which had a lot to do with quitting when I did. Congrats to you! Exclusively pumping is very time consuming, as I know you know. I think much the same with any type of breastfeeding – continue as long as you want to.
    Last edited by chandler; November 30th, 2007 at 01:00 PM.
    Mom to four - 2 of each
    DS#1 2/90
    DD#1 12/99
    DS#2 10/01
    DD#2 3/07

we love still