Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: He only likes the left one

Default He only likes the left one

My baby boy is almost 2 weeks old. He nurses like a champ, but only on the left side. I try at almost every feeding to get him on the right, but he latches and then stops. I continue this until he gets frustrated, then I put him on the left. The right nipple is slightly inverted, so I pump it out a little first. I have also tried different feeding positions and glucose water on the areola. I know that it is common for babies to prefer one side, but this is beyond that. Even my mom (who breastfed 4), is amazed at how adamantly he refuses it. I am starting to look lopsided. Please Help!

Default Re: He only likes the left one

Sorry, I don't have any good advice, but I didn't want you to feel neglected. It is so frustrating to face those kinds of challenges in the early weeks! Hang in there, and I'm sure someone with some experience with what you're going through will reply before too long!

I have similar issues here. My solution is to start her on the non-preferred side and hold her as if she's on the preferred side --- trick her, as it were, into thinking she's on the side she likes.

Part of it might be something that your baby will grow into. Be sure you're either pumping or hand expressing from the yucky side so you don;t get mastitis. Hugs to you!

yup tricking what what worked with my dd..
    she would only nurse the one side in the football hold and only if it wasn't to engoarged for her to get a hold of. hand expressing can help
    She realy liked the right beter.
    it might get beter as baby gets a little bit biger and his mouth gets bigger.

I had the same problem with my lo. She really favored my left breast and it was always a struggle to get her to nurse on the right. I was in the hospital for 5 days after my c-section, so I was able to get a lot of help and we finally got her to nurse on my right side, altho she STILL prefers my left to this day and she is now 7 months old

We kept trying different positions until we were finally able to get her to nurse. I also tried feeding her after she had already nursed a minute or two on the left side so she wasn't quite so frantic.

Just keep trying, he will eventually get it.

Good luck!!!!
    Carol
    Proud mom to,
    Cassi 5/17/85
    Carlie 3/16/96

The Twinzillas
    Camryn 8/17/06
    Carson 8/17/06
    & their Shadow
    Caitlyn 4/22/07

The advice I got from a lactation consultant was to have the baby face in the same direction as they would be on the preferred side. For example, if your baby like nursing cradle hold on the right side, you would nurse him football on the left, so that their body is roughly in the same position. Her take was that the preferences reflect fetal position in utero.

that's what i did w/ my lo, what katierose said & it worked!