Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is It Too Late For Me???

Question Is It Too Late For Me???

Hi....
    My son is now almost 4 months and I have had problems from the 2nd day after childbirth. The 2nd day after my c-section it was like my milk stopped so I had to go to formula which I hadnt planned on doing. Once at home I still didnt have enough milk. I was told that it was maybe bc of the meds that I was on.

I would really love to breastfeed my son all the time and get him completely off of formula but I dont know what I should do now that he doesnt want to nurse at all.

Can someone help me please or is it too late? Thanks

Default Re: Is It Too Late For Me???

Hi There,

Can you tell us what meds you are/were on?

Is ds nursing at all?

Are you pumping?

How much supplement does ds take?

What type of problems did you experience with BF?

Have you been working with anyone such as an LLL Leader or lactation consultant?

Sorry for all of the questions...

Hi...
    Thanks so much for replying to my message and here are the answers...lol

Quote Originally Posted by LLLKate

Can you tell us what meds you are/were on? I was on Iron, Oxycodone, Ibuprofen, plus another I forgot the name and my prenatal vitamins.

Is ds nursing at all? Hes teething and this week he doesnt want to at all maybe the most 1 min.

Are you pumping? I didnt pump this week bc when I have been pumping im not pumping anything at all. Pumping the most I have ever gotten which was 1x was 4 oz.

How much supplement does ds take? Now whatever he eats is all supplemented.

What type of problems did you experience with BF? Not enough milk so he would get upset and start falling out crying.

Have you been working with anyone such as an LLL Leader or lactation consultant? I was working with one in the hospital but not now. This was very hard for me bc I really wanted to BF and I was being pressured and made to feel bad that I had to supplement his food. I didnt know about this forum and was told only of meetings but at the time I couldnt go bc I couldnt drive and hubby wasnt home to take me.

Sorry for all of the questions...
    No dont be sorry I am very grateful to you for replying to my message. Thanks so much.

I know someone who never breastfed but then at 4 months decided to re-lactate since her daughter was haivng a lot of reflux problems - it worked - but she coudl not use just breastmilk - she gets abotu 12 oz of breast milk per day so uses that with the formula.

Hi there,
    The meds that you listed would not have had an effect on milk supply.

I'm so sorry that you ended up in this situation. My heart goes out to you because this just shouldn't have happened.

But, there is definitely a possibility that you can relactate at this point. It will take some committment on your part.

Here is some info on relactation:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/relactation.html

Can you express any milk now?

Is there any way you could get your hands on a hospital-grade rental pump? This is the best pump for you situation.

You would want to pump 8-12 times in 24 hours. I know this sounds like a lot, but you are trying to trick your body into thinking that you have a young baby nursing, so that it will start producing milk again. At the same time anytime you can you can offer your breast to ds. Even if it is only for very small periods of time. Any milk you get you can give to him daily.

I would also suggest lots of skin-to-skin time, co-sleeping without a shirt can be VERY helpful, and also bathing together.

Switching to the slowest-flow nipples you can find will make him work a little harder and get him used to working like he would at the breast.

Have you considered an SNS? This is a tube that you would attach to your nipple, with a small bottle of milk/formula at the end. This would help ds learn that milk comes from your breast (even if it is not all BM right now) and also will help stimulate your breasts.

If you can get in touch with an LC or LLLL she could help you more with something like this. I would highly suggest trying to find someone in person.

Here's how: http://www.lalecheleague.org/leaderinfo.html

Take care-you are a fabulous mom for wanting to give this another try!

Hello!

No advice I can offer, just good thoughts and encouragement to hang in there and follow your heart. If you really want to re-lactate, then give it your all. You will not regret all your efforts! and neither will your babe.

Quote Originally Posted by alidangeli
    I know someone who never breastfed but then at 4 months decided to re-lactate since her daughter was haivng a lot of reflux problems - it worked - but she coudl not use just breastmilk - she gets abotu 12 oz of breast milk per day so uses that with the formula.
    Hi alidangeli
    How did she relactate? Thanks for the advice.

Hi Kate
    I really appreciate your help alot. I have contacted a leader here but I havent heard back from her yet.

Today I feel really discouraged bc my family is telling me that I should just give up on bfing. I dont want to though.

The pump is expensive for me right now but I am going to try and do it. What do you think would be better for me the pump or SNS?

Once again thank you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by mamabear2five
    Hello!

No advice I can offer, just good thoughts and encouragement to hang in there and follow your heart. If you really want to re-lactate, then give it your all. You will not regret all your efforts! and neither will your babe.
    Hi Mamabear
    That was so sweet of you to post this to me. I appreciate it alot. I do feel like giving up right about now. Thanks so much

Kera--I applaud you for sticking with this and still trying. I gave up BF DS at 3 weeks because he was crying all the time and my whole family did the same thing yours is. I have regretted that decision since I made it, nearly 2 years ago. Follow your heart, find some ladies in your area to act as mentors, or a support system. Most of all--keep up the hard work! You will not regret it!

Krista