Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hormonal Nightmare!!!

Default Hormonal Nightmare!!!

Ok, has anyone who has relactated/induced lactation had this happen....I have been trying to relactate the last 4 days (which I know is not a very long time at all). I am getting increasingly irritable and moody. Is this due to the hormornes being stimulated? I guess I am also worried that I won't be able to produce anything but drops for him. This afternoon after DD got home from school we had a big argument which I regret! Ugh...DH doesn't quite understand as he isn't going through this...he thinks we should keep DS on the bottle and doesn't think I should go through all the stress of trying to lactate.
    I am starting to get impatient and I can't get comfy while pumping....I try leaning forward to let the milk go downwrds but then my shouldgers get tense.
    Last edited by jenzbugrulz1978; November 28th, 2007 at 05:24 PM.

Wink Re: Hormonal Nightmare!!!

Hi Jenny,

First off HUGS to you

Relactating is TONS of work yes. It is really hard when you don't have a supportive DH.

What is your relactation plan? There is lots of information here on LLL about relactation as well as Dr. Jack Newman's website.

Basically what you need is stimulation and lots of it. You need to pump every 2-3 hours plus the middle of the night to try and re-lactate. Lots of skin to skin contact with DS and hopefully he will comfort suck. That will really help. Fenugreek and blessed thistle and oatmeal are all things you can do to boot your lactation.

Yes, I found that initially I was more irritable as well. It will even out!

I don't know how to link to my old post here but I have an old post you will want check out, Relactating First Time mommy something like that. I put in there my exact regimine that I followed.

Relactation is hard and really takes alot of commitment. Trust yourself that you are doing a GREAT thing for DS, he is so lucky! I can tell you that when DD was drinking 8 oz of my milk per day, that was teh LAST time she was sick! So it does work, she got better and had no more ear infections. I can't but help and think it had everything to do with my BM.

Cheer up and know that your hormones will level out and focus as much as you can on that stimulation.

I am having success with manual expression more than the pump.

Oh do you have a hospital grade pump? I rented a Medela Symphony from the hospital to relactate. While the PIS Advanced is the next best thing my LC really recommended a Symphony pump for a successful relactation. Just a thought!

Default Re: Hormonal Nightmare!!!

Relactating is a very emotional thing. That is why we are here! We can cheer you on and pray for you while you work on BFing your baby.

Stay with it. The drops will turn to puddles, the puddles will turn to the occasional squirt; which will turn into a real let-down. But, you are right, it takes time. More time than any of us have wanted it to take.

I found it helped to wipe off the drips because another would come if I wiped it off. If I didn't wipe it off, I wouldn't get any more.

This phase may last several days, but it is so exciting to watch as it progresses.

If you are pumping 8-10 times a day including at night, you will likely not get a period - that gives you some hormonal relief to look forward to!

Glad to have you here!

Quote Originally Posted by jenzbugrulz1978 View Post
    Ok, has anyone who has relactated/induced lactation had this happen....I have been trying to relactate the last 4 days (which I know is not a very long time at all). I am getting increasingly irritable and moody. Is this due to the hormornes being stimulated? I guess I am also worried that I won't be able to produce anything but drops for him. This afternoon after DD got home from school we had a big argument which I regret! Ugh...DH doesn't quite understand as he isn't going through this...he thinks we should keep DS on the bottle and doesn't think I should go through all the stress of trying to lactate.
    I am starting to get impatient and I can't get comfy while pumping....I try leaning forward to let the milk go downwrds but then my shouldgers get tense.
    Yeah, my neck and shoulders got sore, too from leaning over the pump. I thought I was going to need some PT. Now that I am past the drops stage, though, I don't have to lean over so much. HTH. Really.

thank you girls sooo much! i will keep at it ! It is encouraging to hear others who have been successful! Yes, I have a Medela PIS double pump...works great when thereis milk there!

good for you to be relactating !! It is very hard at first, wanting the milk to come and seeing such slooooww progress! BUT It DOES get better! It takes a while to notice the changes but they do come ! I found the best for me was to set SMALL goals, first my goal was to get 1/2 a bottle a day, once i reached that i went up to 1 bottle etc. it kept me way more optimistic!

i found it really hard to get a let down with the pump (same pump as you) i had problems withall pumps , I was so uncomfortable and the noise kept me from getting a let down. I used hand expression and was able to relax more

that said you just have to find what will work ! So far you are doing great! you should see faster results with a good pump, but it might take a few things to get it all working for you! you'll find your nitch!

goodluck!
    ~*TiffanyJewel*~
    Happily Married !
    SAHM to my two beautiful boys
    Ethan my sweet big boy! born 9-9-04
    Aidan my little nursling! (relactation) born
    5-2-06!
    Natalie Jewel Our Valentine! Born
    2-14-08
    *Relactation- a labor or Love*

Wow, this morning I got a whole ounce the first session (with squirting!!!)Now it is dwindling but I am sure more will still be there in the morning! Thanks girls because I was ge3tting discouraged. Now DH is getting excited seeing the ounce!!

Yeah!!!