Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Retained Placenta & Milk Supply Issues

Default Retained Placenta & Milk Supply Issues

I had my sweet son on October 29th after he was born I never experienced any engorgement. The day I got home from the hospital we noticed in his diaper what looked like blood but we thought that it was from his umbilical cord. He was also sleepy all the time. The next day he had more "blood" in his diaper. This whole time I was breastfeeding exclusively. Then we went to the Doctor for his out of hospital check up and found that he had lost 400 grams since coming out of the hospital. The Dr then had me bring in a urine sample and there was no blood in it. It was just super concentrated urine.

At that point we were told to start supplementing him which we did. Since then I have continued to bf him as much as possible. We use a bottle to supplement which led to some serious sore nipples and his latch is still not great but now he is draining me dry very quickly and I have a lot less pain.

I also have Rayneault's Syndrome in my nipples which means that my niples turn white after every feeding. I have learned that I can get them back to normal by using a hair dyer on them which has helped alot too.

I have tried to increase my milk supply by using Fenugreek, Blessed Thistle, pumping all which helped a little but i still did not make enough to feed him. I would nurse and nurse and nurse him. I could not pump very much at all and with the sore nipples pumping was sometimes out of the question.

I am at six weeks postpartum now and I still had lochia which had never really changed kinda slow and steady after the first few days out of hospital. Two days ago I had what was a piece of placenta come out. It was not large but sizable enough for me to say what the heck is that.

My question is has anyone else had this happen to them and what can I expect now?

Will I experience a "normal" milk flow now automatically like would be usual at the end of pregnancy?

Will I have to continue supplementing?

Default Re: Retained Placenta & Milk Supply Issues

Have you been to see your OB or midwife? I don't have any personal experience with retained placenta fragments, but I think where there was one there may be others. My LC told me that retained placenta fragments can affect milk production, so I would definitely go and get checked out.

Good for you for persisting with nursing!

yeah you should contact your doctor..
    ITs common for moms to have bleeding around 6 weeks but my doctor told me any clot the size of a chickens egg I should call right away.

Will you let us know what your doctor says? I didn't bleed much while I was at the hospital (two days) but I had a clot come down the day after I came home from the hospital. In fact, it was the first time I pumped with my PIS. It felt like I was giving birth, again. It was probably as large as an ostrich egg, not a chicken egg. I had to put it in the trash; I didn't want to clog the toilet. I wonder if that was a placenta fragment. I wonder if I can add that to my long list of reasons why my milk supply is/was low. I told my midwife about it, but she didn't seem too concerned at the time. Do you mind sharing what you find out?

We would love to support you as you work on increasing your milk supply. How much are you supplementing? At six weeks post partum, I would think that you could absolutely increase your milk. I have a seven month old. I am still increasing. There is a great book that I am reading called Mother Food by Hilary Jacobson. She suggests foods for promoting milk supply. She also lists some herbs that may be helpful to you, specifically. There is one combination that is especially helpful in getting hormones started postpartum. Check with your library for a copy. If you can't find it, let me know and I will try to get you the information. But try to get the book. It is very helpful in its entirety.

I did go see my Dr yesterday but she was not even aware that placental fragments could cause milk supply issues. She is sending me for an ultrasound to see if there are more.

Problem is i think i have noticed a difference in my milk supply but sometimes it seems to be all in my head because it is so hard to judge.

It seems to me that the baby is able to drink for much longer and it is easier for him to pull the milk from the breast.

Honestly after trying to feed him exclusively for 6 weeks now I am burnt out because it seems like i am beating my head against the wall. Everything i tried did not seem to work out.

I am sure it was not a clot I looked it up on the internet what placenta looked like and that was it. Also after it passed my lochia turned bright red.

Also it seems that the Dr was not willing to deem it a piece of placenta because they are supposed to check the placenta very carefully to see if pieces are missing. She could get in trouble for that

Also the amount we are supplementing varies pretty widely because my hubby feeds him from the bottle. I feed him from the breast but it is a continuous thing he did not get full he would feed for an hour but still be hungry at times. At times I lose my patience and don't feed him continuously then we can supplement alot.

I have to say i have the best baby ever he will happily nurse for hours without getting much. Usually i will nurse him on one side then the other then back to the first side and then the second side. By then my nipples feel like baby alligators have been hanging off them.

The lactation counselor i saw was not fantastic. She did not have anything to say about his latch or help position him. She just watched me nurse for a while, she did not even weigh him post feeding to see what he got. She told me to pump after feeding him but after a feeding I am just too sore .

bummer sorry your doctor gave you the run around..
    ITs ok.. breastfeeding doesn't have to be all or nothing!
    some moms have to supliment and thats ok.
    some doctors don't know much about breastfeeding they get very little training in it.
    your baby is 6 weeks old?
    Thats a prime time for a growth spurt where they just want to nurse round the clock.
    have you talked to your local leader she would be able to listen.